View Single Post
Old 03-13-2013, 10:17 AM   #1
code3rrt
Babbling Farker

Default Smoked, braised shortribs on the Smokey Joe(pRon)

Hey all. Tried a couple new things, for me anyway. First, smoked/braised shortribs, and two, a long cook on the Smokey Joe. Turned out pretty successful on both counts.

I never would have thought to do a long cook on the Smokey Joe, usually just use it for quick grilling, burgers, brats, steaks and such. But I also hate to fire up the Performer for a relatively small cook. In one of the threads here recently, Bludawg I believe it was, said he had done cooks of several hours on his Smokey Joe, so I figured I would give it a go.

Seasoned up the shortribs with Pitbarrel Cooker Beef and Game rub. I set my Smokey joe up for indirect, shooting for cooking temps of 250-275. It worked out great.The whole cook was about 4.5 hours.

Ribs on:

At about one hour:

At a little over two hours:

Pulled these at this point and placed them in a pie tin with some mild beef broth and sauted onions:

Covered with foil, wrapped tight, back in the Smokey Joe, with vents all open, temps were running 325-375 for the remainder of the cook.
At three hours the ribs were still a bit tough, at four hours maybe a little more, they were fork tender.

plated with some garlic whipped taters, a little gravy made from the broth, and buttered green beans:

Nice smoke ring:

A salad topped with artichokes and grape tomatoes, with Newmans Own honey mustard dressing:

A couple of bite shots:

All in all a great cook, the ribs were delicious!

Thanks for looking.

KC

Thanks from: --->