View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 09:12 AM   #8587
smokindave74
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Worth View Post
Does anybody have an MSDS on the red epoxy liner used in barrels? It's used in food grade barrels and extreme heat and most chemicals won't touch it. The only way to remove it is through agressive abrasive action. Once it's coated with a layer of grease and smoke and kept below 500 degrees is it really dangerous? Yes, I've read the entire thread but have not seen any references to an MSDS for the liner. Honestly, it seems more stable than Teflon/Silverstone/etc.
Hey Paul,

I had the same question, and I looked and looked a while back, but all I could find are the MSDS on the actual liner material when it is applied in liquid form....not once it is a solid coating.

My initial thought was that this stuff was so tough that it wouldn't be a problem. But I have since started building smokers to sell, and I don't want to endanger anyone else. You could build one, and just burn in it a few times without any food, and see how it holds up. If it makes it through 10 burns with no peeling or color change, I would think it would be good to go.

I have since found unlined re-conditioned barrels near my home for $32, so I just get those. Takes the liner and the cleaning of a barrel out of the equation.

Dave
smokindave74 is offline   Reply With Quote