UDS Pork 225 or 300?

StanDaMan79

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Quick question. When you cook pork shoulder at 300, does it still have that great smoke flavor of one cooked at 225? I did one Thursday, put it in the UDS at around 7:30pm, 225. Took 12 hours, but it was awesome. Great flavor, nice bark. The best shoulder I've ever made.
When you up the temp, to 300, do you retain the depth of smoke flavor? i thought temps over 250 negated that smoke.
I've got a couple more I'd like to do this morning, I'd like to have them ready by dinner time, (about 9hrs) but don't want to sacrifice taste.
Any suggestions?

Quick question. When you cook pork shoulder at 300, does it still have that great smoke flavor of one cooked at 225? I did one Thursday, put it in the UDS at around 7:30pm, 225. Took 12 hours, but it was awesome. Great flavor, nice bark. The best shoulder I've ever made.
When you up the temp, to 300, do you retain the depth of smoke flavor? i thought temps over 250 negated that smoke.
I've got a couple more I'd like to do this morning, I'd like to have them ready by dinner time, (about 9hrs) but don't want to sacrifice taste.
Any suggestions?

Yes they will still taste great...

You'll be fine going hotter, just ask Bludawg :laugh:
You also won't sacrifice any of the smoke flavor

When i'm cooking at 300 degrees, I always make sure the pork is very cold when I put it on the smoker as well as put it on the smoker at about 250 degrees or so.

There is still a super nice smokey flavor on the meat. The biggest thing with cooking at 300 degrees is to trim the fat more aggressively, as well as a minimum 2 hours for resting. I can knock out a 8lb pork butt in about 6 hours (not including resting)

No change in texture or flavor. Why take 12+ hrs to do what you can do in 6-8. If your rub has allot of sugar you need to back it way down or it will burn. I cook mine at 300+ and foil after 4 hrs to finish and rest on the counter top for 2 hrs (you'll need double gloves ...ouch)

It depends on where you're measuring temperature. A 8# butt takes me around 12 hours when I smoke at 250*. I suspect we're talking the same thing, just measuring differently.

p.s. I like 275*. :wink:

Wow, thanks for the rapid response's! I was prepared to do what was suggested, do everything the same, and see what happens.
But I'll be doing it now, with a lot more confidence, thanks guys.

I took the pork I cooked down for a pot luck dinner, on the shore of New Melones lake, a group of us had volunteered for the CAST event held there. We donate our boats and time to take disadvantaged/disabled kids out for a little fishing.
The weather has been so nice, we ate outside and enjoyed those pulled pork sliders I made, some home made sides brought by my buddies. Beans, macaroni and cheese, and cole slaw or sweet bread and butter pickles for the sliders. Beautiful night, great dinner, good friends.

2 pork shoulder roasts going on at 300. I'll have time to take some pictures this time. Thanks again!

Back