My first tri-tip

Deslock

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I keep hearing about how they are a great stepping stone for brisket, and how tasty they are in their own right. Well, it took me 4 grocery stores before heading to Sams Club to find one, and I'll be dipped in queso if this hunk o flesh aint the bees knees of meats. For a rub I just used some greek seasoning & some really, REALLY coarse ground sea salt & pepper.

IMG_1898_zps3943698d.jpg

IMG_1899_zpsfe6f5ca2.jpg

IMG_1903_zps389c09f0.jpg

I find that they REALLY benefit from getting warmed up to about 90F or so and staying there for a while before you start getting them up to final temp. Methods will vary, but a very gentle, almost not cooking heat for 30 minutes or so results in a more tender, flavorful end product. It's like an extreme reverse sear. I suspect it has something to do with activating the enzymes that break down the meat, if you wanna go all Harold McGee.

It's a spectacular cut and very rewarding to cook. I'd rather do a tri-tip than a brisket anyday.

Thanks all! It is now my fave I think, so tender, so juicy...thanks Fwismoker, I hadn't seen that one yet but explains it great/

Nice TT! I like mine a bit more pink, but if you liked it, that's all that matters!

Tri tip is good stuff. We actually prefer it grilled instead of smoked. But either way, it's California goodness that's spreading all over the U.S.A.

Back