No More Sam's Choice Charcoal

Sam's Choice is made by Royal Oak. The bag say's "60% larger than other briquettes", I believe that in order to make them bigger they have to use more starch binder which in turn does not allow them to burn as hot as the regular sized RO briquettes. I have used them for grilling in the past when money is tight, but they are not my first choice. FWIW Family Dollar brand is also made by RO and is their normal briquette.

I've never had a problem with the Walmart brand. I use it mostly in UDS and RO lump in my other cookers. You may have just gotten a bad bag. The walmarts around here will sometimes store it outside in the garden section. I do not get it from outside in fear of it having moisture. I always look at the bag too making sure the colors of the bag look bright and new. Never had issues when do that.

ro chefs choice is the same big briq and its good stuff. still no issues for me with the
wal mart stuff.

it's tree trimming season- making my own lump now- maple,hickory,& beech..
k.m.a. obama & epa- bwahahaha

You can use fist size wood chunks just like charcoal, no need to make lump, just stack the chunks like you would charcoal and light it, let the chunks just ash and start cooking.

Is Wal-mart carrying Sam's choice again? I haven't seen it in about 18 months. Loved the stuff. I only use charcoal as base to my wood when I fire my stick burner but still....so preferred it to Kingsford. Don't really care for the generic they replaced it with.

I have used lots of Sam Never had a problem with it myself, but you could have gotten a bad bag. I always thought it was a bigger briquettes and burned longer than KB.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Has anyone tried Kroger brand charcoal?

I saw some yesterday and wasn't sure if it was any good. Opted for Kingsford blue bag. Figured I'd try the generic stuff some time when I'm not under as much pressure to put out a quality cook...

The problems with the Sam's Choice charcoal were caused by Wal-Mart, not RO. They are the ones who store it outside in the humidity. No briquettes are gonna be any good after enough time outside unless its in New Mexico or somewhere else with very dry air.

Yeah, I think it's great and super cheap for burgers/chicken/steaks and any quick cook. I avoid it for smoking though.

Back