off the wall, newbie, backyard comp question

AUradar

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
okay, stupid question here. I'm doing my first comp in two weeks, will be in the backyard division.

I'm taking my camper to set up and stay in overnight.

Is this typical for the backyard comps? Do people set up that much? Most of the comps I can find are an hour or two away so it seems I couldn't particapte unless I go with a camper. But at the same time, i'm afraid thats overkill for that level of competetion.

Most backyard competitions around here are set up as one day events with turn ins late enough in the day that you can arrive early in the morning, set up and start cooking. It's rare that you see anything more than an EzUp and cookers at backyard events.

the one I'm doing has meat inspection by 5 on Friday. Cook meeting at 5 on Friday, and first turn in at 11 on Saturday.

If I do a butt for people's choice it has to be turned in by 10 on Saturday.

I figured the grill needs to start at 10, 11 latest on Friday night.

You're about right there. Most backyard comps dont do brisket nor pork shoulder/butt because of the over-night factor. I think it's perfectly normal to bring a camper to the one you're talking about.

I competed there 2 years ago in the backyard and some brought campers and some tents and some nothing but chairs, so bring what you will be comfortable in, its probably gonna be cold again at night. Good luck and have fun

thanks. was getting paranoid about doing to much.

wife won't go with me unless I bring a toliet, shower, and warm bed. hence the camper verses a tent with a cot.

Take the trailer a lot of the guys that do back yard around here camp out and party like crazy friday night

You see plenty of backyard guys in campers in our backyard contests, take it and be comfy. Good luck!

okay, stupid question here. I'm doing my first comp in two weeks, will be in the backyard division.

I'm taking my camper to set up and stay in overnight.

Is this typical for the backyard comps? Do people set up that much? Most of the comps I can find are an hour or two away so it seems I couldn't particapte unless I go with a camper. But at the same time, i'm afraid thats overkill for that level of competetion.

If there is bad weather you will thank your lucky stars for a camper to dry out and catch a cat nap in. That said, I usually catch a short nap in the back of the pickup truck...make sure you get some rest where ever you can catch it.

Backyarders run about 50/50.

About half are there to party like there's no tomorrow and they will bring their zero-grav chairs, satellite TV, EZ-Up or three, the handle of ???, the handle of ???, the handle of ???, and the handle of ???. Oh yeah, they might remember a cooker or two.

The other half are there to cook the competition the very best that they can. They may not do all the categories but they take the competition very seriously. They come equipped almost as much as the pro teams.

So bringing a camper is absolutely not out there or weird. Getting decent rest when you can and having your own facilities is worth quite a bit.

Russ

Wish I would have had a camper when we started out this year. Also I wish I had a camper now :becky:

thanks. was getting paranoid about doing to much.

wife won't go with me unless I bring a toliet, shower, and warm bed. hence the camper verses a tent with a cot.

My wife is the same. You probably ought to go ahead and find one to buy over the winter. The sooner you do it, the better off you'll be.. because after this contest, you'll be hooked and money will start to fall out of your pocket.. just embrace it and go on.

Back