Pastrami preference - question

Cracklin Jeorge

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I am going to transform a corned beef into a fine chunk of pastrami this weekend and I have reviewed several recipes. There seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether or not to soak the corned beef first to remove the brine. Some recommend soaking the corned beef in fresh water for 6 to 12 hours before seasoning and smoking. Others skip this step and let the seasoned Corned beef cure in the fridge for 6 -12 hours prior to smoking. Oddly enough the recipes that soak in water do not cure the seasoned brisket.

Is there a preferred method?

OK, now that I've drooled all over my shirt looking at third eye's pics, checked the calendar and resigned myself to wait till Sunday for my Pastrami sandwich... I just need to find the top to my pressure cooker and figure out what I'm going to eat on Saturday!

I like my Pastrami with Mustard and Pickles.

The-Hat-Sign.jpg

Last edited:
I am going to transform a corned beef into a fine chunk of pastrami this weekend and I have reviewed several recipes. There seems to be a difference of opinion as to whether or not to soak the corned beef first to remove the brine. Some recommend soaking the corned beef in fresh water for 6 to 12 hours before seasoning and smoking. Others skip this step and let the seasoned Corned beef cure in the fridge for 6 -12 hours prior to smoking. Oddly enough the recipes that soak in water do not cure the seasoned brisket.

Is there a preferred method?

I always soak mine for 12 hours in cold water and then rub with mustard cracked pepper. The soak does not remove the cure just extracts some of the excess salt. I find it way too salty without the soak.

http://ique2.blogspot.com/2009/12/procrastination.html

Time to get started. I've never tried Bea's Best before but it claims to be a mild cure.
Front.jpg
Back.jpg
Tricky Bea, she hide the fat side.
PreTrim.jpg
Needs a little trim... but don't we all?
Trim1.jpg
Trim2.jpg
Time for a good soaking.
Soak_1.jpg
I'll be back.

Jeorge, When I smoke my corned beef, I always soak for at least 24 hours and change the water 4 times.

What kind of rub are you using? Below is one I recommend.

1 cup cracked black pepper
1/3 cup coriander seed
1/3 cup paprika
1/3 cup granulated garlic
1/3 cup granulated onion
-Toast the pepper seeds and coriander in a dry pan until fragrant, then process in a coffee grinder.

What kind of rub are you using? Below is one I recommend.

1 cup cracked black pepper
1/3 cup coriander seed
1/3 cup paprika
1/3 cup granulated garlic
1/3 cup granulated onion
-Toast the pepper seeds and coriander in a dry pan until fragrant, then process in a coffee grinder.

Here is the one I use:

• 4 tablespoons kosher salt
  • 4 tablespoons smoked paprika
  • 3 tablespoons ground coriander
  • 3 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 2 tablespoons coarse ground black pepper
  • 1 tablespoons ground mustard seed
  • 1 tablespoon ground chipolte pepper
  • 1 tablespoon onion powder
As far as soaking...I have only made pastrami once from a packaged corned beef brisket (the other times I cured my own brisket), and I let it sit in the fridge for 24 hours, but no soaking.
I have since read on here that everyone else soaks theirs.

I did not have any issues with saltiness on mine, even with the salt in the rub, but it may have been beginners luck

I always soak mine too, otherwise it is way too salty I have read that some folks put a cut potato in the water to help draw out the salt, then cook up the potato. I usually soak 2 days changing the water a couple of times a day.
After a couple of days in the drink, I rub mine down with Monterey Steak Seasoning and throw it on the Egg.
Another trick to test the saltyness is to slice s piece off and fry it up and taste it - if still too salty keep soaking.
Good luck and enjoy!

I normally soak for 24 hours with a potato cut in half to absorb the salt and change the water at least twice. Then I rub it and let it sit with the rub overnight.
YMMV

I always soak mine for 12 hours in cold water and then rub with mustard cracked pepper.

If you rub it with mustard like that, it's much closer to Montreal Smoked Meat than to a pastrami. Similar and good, but not the same.

If I buy my own corned beef, I never soak it. If I cure my own, I do.

dmp

When using store bought corned meats, I'm a soaker too, then I rub and rest in the fridge. I use a 3 gallon bucket and change the water after 10 minutes then at least twice more. This size of bucket fits nicely in the bottom of my beer fridge. I only trim the areas of the fat (or the thin ends of the meat) that has been softened by the brine. I trim after the soak out. You can see that the water has slightly changed color after just 10 minutes.

DSC09821a.jpg

DSC09818a.jpg

DSC09820a.jpg

DSC04436e.jpg

I also don't limit myself to pastrami sammies.... If you have never made a reuben pizza, they are amazing served with mustard and pickles. I also like it as a main meat, and it's a killer to take into work on St. Patricks Day with cabbage and potatoes. The flavor is just different enough from plain corned beef that folks really like it.

DSC07393a.jpg

DSC01843aaa.jpg

If you rub it with mustard like that, it's much closer to Montreal Smoked Meat than to a pastrami. Similar and good, but not the same.

If I buy my own corned beef, I never soak it. If I cure my own, I do.

dmp

You are the only other one I have seen on here that doesn't soak their store bought corned beef.
I also soak it when I cure my own, but did not do so on the last store bought, and it turned out perfect.

I also don't limit myself to pastrami sammies.... If you have never made a reuben pizza, they are amazing served with mustard and pickles. I also like it as a main meat, and it's a killer to take into work on St. Patricks Day with cabbage and potatoes. The flavor is just different enough from plain corned beef that folks really like it.

DSC07393a.jpg

A farking reuben pizza??!!
that looks amazing..I have got to do one of those

I soak for 24 hours like Ron, but, I have never added the potato, which I should, that is great culinary technique. One change of water. Then rub, wrap and cure in fridge for at least 12 hours.

Yep, I go with the 2 day bath with a water change every 6 to 8 hours, heavy rub, wrap in Saran wrap & rest overnight then smoke.

Back