Smart Chicken Test

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I'm working on a Smart Chicken article for GetYourGrillOn.net. For the article I want to see if Smart Chicken will absorb more brine than regular chicken. Brined two Smart Chicken thighs in a quart of brine tonight for 6 hours. Brining two regular thighs tomorrow. Using equal parts salt and sugar. Not 100% scientific because its in my kitchen and I'm not measuring to the ML, but I'm trying to keep it consistent in my tests.

I was surprised that the two smart chicken thighs took on about 1.5 tablespoons worth of my salt/sugar brine in total. That's a lot of moisture and seasoning. Because Smart Chicken is air chilled instead of a bath, my assumption is that the Smart Chicken will absorb more of the brine. Two thighs may not be enough mass to show a measurable difference. Maybe 20 thighs would show more. We'll see tomorrow.

I do know, at least, that we'll be eating chicken and ABT's tomorrow!

You would think the "SMART" chicken would know salt is bad for you. But then again seems like everything that is good is bad for you.

I've been cooking "Smart Chicken" in comps for three years now and do very well with it. I do know a lot of people who don't like it though. Each to their own.
Jim

Plowboy said:
I'm working on a Smart Chicken article for GetYourGrillOn.net. For the article I want to see if Smart Chicken will absorb more brine than regular chicken. Brined two Smart Chicken thighs in a quart of brine tonight for 6 hours. Brining two regular thighs tomorrow. Using equal parts salt and sugar. Not 100% scientific because its in my kitchen and I'm not measuring to the ML, but I'm trying to keep it consistent in my tests.

I was surprised that the two smart chicken thighs took on about 1.5 tablespoons worth of my salt/sugar brine in total. That's a lot of moisture and seasoning. Because Smart Chicken is air chilled instead of a bath, my assumption is that the Smart Chicken will absorb more of the brine. Two thighs may not be enough mass to show a measurable difference. Maybe 20 thighs would show more. We'll see tomorrow.

I do know, at least, that we'll be eating chicken and ABT's tomorrow!

It will be interesting to see the difference between he 2 type of chicken used on the total pick-up of brine. Are you weighing your chicken first and then brining and then weighing them back after brining. How are you measuring the brine pick up? just wondering?

scottd said:
It will be interesting to see the difference between he 2 type of chicken used on the total pick-up of brine. Are you weighing your chicken first and then brining and then weighing them back after brining. How are you measuring the brine pick up? just wondering?
I wanted to weigh as part of the test but my digital scale is in the BBQ trailer which isn't here at the house. Instead, I'm measuring the before and after water volume. Figure the before and after difference has to be in the chicken.

Last edited:
bbqjoe said:
What is a smart chicken????
It is air chilled and hung individually instead of chilled in a chemical bath with all the other chickens. No cross contamination. No chemicals. Less water added. Theory is then that it will take on more brine & marinade.

Last edited:
Plowboy said:
It is air chilled and hung individually instead of a chilled in a chemical bath with all the other chickens. No cross contamination. No chemicals. Less water added. Theory is then that it will take on more brine & marinade.
Smart Chicken is a national brand from Eastern Nebraska. I think there are other brands that have the same process. Definately a specialty product compared to a Tyson chicken. There's Organic Smart Chicken, too. Most of the time Organic lacks flavor, IMHO.

Never heard of it. But the idea sounds good.
I once watched a 60 minutes on chicken processing. It took quite some time before I could bring myself to eat chicken again.

bbqjoe said:
Never heard of it. But the idea sounds good.
I once watched a 60 minutes on chicken processing. It took quite some time before I could bring myself to eat chicken again.

Smart Chicken is in 40 states, so may not be available in the Zona.

all we eat here are smart chickens. My wife is a stickler for food handling and processing. It's always a bit more expensive but i think the flavors always exceed other brands.

Its a good product. We've used it for comp, but have had better success with fresh whole birds from Alewel's Country Meats in Warrensburg, MO. They are a sponsor, so we get 3 birds every comp. They are young, tender birds and the skin is nice and thin. Turns out great.

.....Hmmmmmm ... got our attention. We have been using Sanderson Farms (MS) chicken products exclusively for several years after an informative telephone conversation with one of their staff veterinarians. We had called to find out more about free range chickens and were quite surprised to hear 'the rest of the story'. Now we plan to contact them early next week re. Smart Chicken. We look forward to learning more so we can continue to choose the 'best' products whenever possible. Unfortunately, in Utah, the only Smart Chicken outlet named is Super Target and only in the northern part of the State.

"Smart Chicken" has been showing up in the local stores here recently. I do like the cold air chilling versus batch brine chilling. I'll have to pay more attention.

Kevin said:
"Smart Chicken" has been showing up in the local stores here recently. I do like the cold air chilling versus batch brine chilling. I'll have to pay more attention.

Attention ... that ain't all you'll have to pay more of.
67346f1c-1.gif

Each time I've smoked so far I've used Smart Chickens. They have wound up being about the tastiest chickens I've ever had, I like to think because they do better in the smoker.

I've had them on the Weber kettle in the past using the charcoal corals for indirect cooking. I usually stuff the cavity with onions, carrots and diced potatoes with some olive oil and garlic in the mix. I also coat the skin with olive oil and then apply some rub.

They always come out wonderful!

/Brother Dave

Back