• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Initial smoke time for spares?

42BBQ

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I just picked up two racks of spares (single pack) at Costco. They are about 8.5# total weight. I plan on trimming them into St. Louis cut spares before I smoke them. My question is how much time should I give them naked on the smoker before I foil? Using a UDS, first time with ribs, don't want to screw it up. Thanks. Planning on following an APL recipe, will foil for 1.5 hours, unwrapped for 20 minutes, sauced, back on for 30. My drum will hold 225 to 250 for hours.

I actually quit the foil thing. When I did foil it was between 2 1/2 and 3 hours. On a UDS @ 235

Thanks bluetang, how much did size affect the time before foiling? Also, out of curiosity, why did you stop foiling?

As to the "3-2-1" method, all the numbers are too long if cooking direct in a drum. Just go by appearance, foiling once your ribs look the right color, and don't leave in the foil too long. Also, don't add much AJ at all, if any. Oh, and don't leave on drum much after foiling.

See a trend here?:wink:

So almost more of a hot and fast technique?

Cooking direct, the uds cooks much faster, so yeah, it's just like cooking at higher temps. My best ribs recently have been at 275-300, smoked for roughly 2 hr, one hour or so til tender in foil, then just a few minutes to glaze and/or let the grease drip off. If cooking at 250 or just above, you're times might not be that far off.

Back