• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Suggestions for "Tailgate" sides

toadhunter911

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Once a month I cook for our church family before our free movie showing. We usually prepare food that goes along somehow with the movies theme. In May we're showing "The Blind Side", and will be doing tailgate style food. So I'll be smoking wings with honey BBQ, buffalo, and Thai chili sauces, plus a mess of beer brats (it is a Lutheran church). Looking for ideas for side dish items, and beans of any sort are not an option (Keri's hog apple beans are on the menu for April so I want something different). Any suggestions from the tailgate experts?

Can't go wring with a slaw or potato salad. There are salads with broccoli and ramen noodles that are pretty good too.

If you're looking for a hot side, mac 'n cheese is one possibility. In cooler weather I'd set it up in a dutch oven ready to bake and them bake on site. The cast iron will help to keep it warm while serving. (Or serve from a crock pot if you have electricity at hand.)

Can't go wring with a slaw or potato salad. There are salads with broccoli and ramen noodles that are pretty good too.

If you're looking for a hot side, mac 'n cheese is one possibility. In cooler weather I'd set it up in a dutch oven ready to bake and them bake on site. The cast iron will help to keep it warm while serving. (Or serve from a crock pot if you have electricity at hand.)

We were thinking slaw and potato salad. It in the churches fellowship hall, so no problem with electricity. We're serving mac and cheese next month with fried catfish, greens and southern style green beans.

Some sort of baked beans. I have a great recipe for what I call calico beans. Great for church potlucks. And you can say you got the recipe from a Lutheran school teacher. :). I actually use butter beans instead of Lima beans. Easy to set up in crock pot instead of baking 2 hours.

esamusy4.jpg

Back