Good (lean) cut for burger?

hammb

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I got my brisket in brine today for corned beef (St. Patrick's day staple for me, regardless of authenticity). I trimmed quite a bit of fat off this bad boy, especially since I separated the flat and point, and was able to trim off a lot of the thick layer of fat that separates the two muscles.

I weighed it and found I took off nearly 3# of fat (it was a prime packer from Costco). I figured I would take this fat and grind it with some leaner beef from the butcher and throw a bunch of hamburger in the freezer.

I usually start with Chuck to make burger, but that's already got quite a bit of fat in it, any other ideas for a leaner cut to mix with this mostly pure fat?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Agreed, sir loin or round, what ever you can get the cheapest. Local supermarket had a sale, buy one package get two free of sir loin...worked out to $3.20 a pound. I have about 12 lbs. in the freezer now! was planning on grinding it for meatballs, burgers, etc...

I vote sirloin too. I'd soak the fat in water to draw out the salt.

I vote sirloin too. I'd soak the fat in water to draw out the salt.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys!

No salt in the fat. I trimmed it off a prime packer before it went in the brine.

kinda pricey, but flank steak makes for an amazing burger!

Back