UDS Pizza with Pron

ebijack

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Tried again a pizza on the UDS, this time the weather isn't very nice to say the least. 20+ MPH and raining off and on all day. This time I use a 13 inch diffuser to try to keep the bottom from burning before the top was ready. At 6 min. I removed the diffuser as the temp would not come up to the 700 + degrees I'm used to. Ended up taking 12 minutes, but turned out great. As you can see I used a lot of oak chunks to get that wood fired taste ( and it worked!) Simple pizza with onions, pepperoni, cheese and fresh basil thrown on at the end and used garlic canola on the crust.
oig0.jpg

bp5d.JPG

vse6.jpg

8yyf.jpg

gcvk.jpg

5uhf.jpg

Nice looking simple pie. That's how I like mine, too.

CD

Thanks, your screen name reminds me of a good friend that past 2 yrs ago. Caseydog
ajrs.jpg

gs9n.jpg

r02r.jpg

Looks good. I love pizza on my drum.

Looks good! Is that just a pizza pan that you're cooking it on? I want to try pizza on my kettle and have been looking for different methods and most call for a pizza stone.

Man, you pizza folks are killing me. That looks great!

Ebijack, Reels from walleye central. Good to see you here! Hope all is well with you.

Not to sound unprofessional but....I'd take jgbmgb's sloppy seconds of that piece of pie.

I tried a pizza stone and was not impressed to keep using it, I tried a aluminum pizza pan, not impressed, the aluminum with the holes seems to work the best for me right now and a 13 inch deflector with some holes in it so I get equal heat top/bottom, I use cornmeal on the pan before setting the pie on it.
Howdy Reels! sent you a PM

Not impressed with the stone? It's the only way to go with pizzas imho, just make sure to preheat it and get it REALLY hot

Not impressed with the stone? It's the only way to go with pizzas imho, just make sure to preheat it and get it REALLY hot
Tried that, it burned the crust before the top could get nice and crusty. Tried a couple more times, just not for me. I tried using it in my Acorn, not the UDS.

Silly question, but I love to ask fellow pizza guys. What type, and brand of cheese do you prefer?

Also, what is the crust? Homemade, frozen? Do you add anything fun to the crust?

I love making pizza, because you can do ANYTHING with them.

Pie looks great. Can't go wrong wit da cone meal! That's my go-to for the bottom of my crusts as well.

I agree with you on the "pizza stones"- they kinda suck. They always break after only a few uses. I now use a 2" thick hunk of sandstone for my pies. Takes a while to heat up, but once it's there it holds heat great and haven't had one break thus far.

Love UDS pizza! Why aren't you all going directly on the grate?? That's the only way i've done it and it works great.

I've found it's better with no wood chunks and only charcoal.. Anyone else?

Back