Favorite shakers?

Soybomb

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
This year I'm trying to work on really perfecting my own rubs and sauces. The $1 squeezey bottles at walmart are great for sauces but what is everyone using for spices? I have a wide assortment of plastic bottles store bought spices have come in but I've found that most of them either aren't airtight to begin with or let a few grains of rub build up easily and no longer seal tightly. Either way I wind up with clumpy rub.

Any particular bottles or shakers you've found that work well? My favorite so far is a used 17th street magic dust bottle. It looks like penzeys might sell some similar to that and I'm considering getting some.

Get a pt ot qt mason jar punch or drill size holes you want in the lid or get one of those mason jar drinking glasses do the same it will have a handle on it

I just use the shakers you see at a pizza place for parmesan and crushed red peppers. When not in use I unscrew the cap, put a piece of wax paper over the jar and screw the cap back on then store in a cool dark cupboard. Rub stays nice and fresh for a long time that way.

GREAT thread.
GREAT ideas!!!!

I've had this same problem. I just keep saving all the used shakers I have from spices, rubs, etc., but I have the same problem as Soybomb.

I've noticed that some rubs will list some ingredient to prevent caking. I've always assumed that if I mix rubs at home and don't use (or have) that ingredient, I risk caking.

I've also tried crackers, etc. to help with moisture to no avail.

Doesn using the mason jar or wax paper seal prevent the caking as well? It's the air, huh?

I just use the shakers you see at a pizza place for parmesan and crushed red peppers. When not in use I unscrew the cap, put a piece of wax paper over the jar and screw the cap back on then store in a cool dark cupboard. Rub stays nice and fresh for a long time that way.

+1 I also put my rubs in the oven for about 10 minutes at 240 to dry them out a bit before I jar them. So far that has worked well for me.

Doesn using the mason jar or wax paper seal prevent the caking as well? It's the air, huh?

The wax paper prevents it for me. I'd always assumed the caking was caused by the humidity in the air, so no air = no clumps.

I use stainless steel powered sugar shakers. They come with a plastic lid which is nice for keeping any leftover rub from spilling out after I toss the shaker in my bbq tote box. I have never tried keeping rub in them afterwards since I was afraid it would react with the stainless. Walmart usually carries them in a large hole and small hole style.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fox-Run-Craftsmen-4-Large-Hole-Shaker/15573710

Brother you have some bad arse rub if it will react with stainless steel :crazy:

I use stainless steel powered sugar shakers. They come with a plastic lid which is nice for keeping any leftover rub from spilling out after I toss the shaker in my bbq tote box. I have never tried keeping rub in them afterwards since I was afraid it would react with the stainless. Walmart usually carries them in a large hole and small hole style.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Fox-Run-Craftsmen-4-Large-Hole-Shaker/15573710

Brother you have some bad arse rub if it will react with stainless steel :crazy:
Well since I am not a scientist and have never studied the reaction properties of stainless steel and rubs stored together over long periods of time it only seemed logical not to do it. However I do use some bad a$$ rubs (Simply Marvelous and Plowboy's) so I reckon I'm better off in the end :wink:

If I make my own rub, I use either a glass or stainless shaker like Bover described and use the wax paper under the lid, like Bover described. Otherwise, I just use the jar or bottle that the rub came in. I use Simply Marvelous and Dizzy Dust salt free, so those are the bottles I use. I buy the small bottles to keep things fresh.

Get a pt ot qt mason jar punch or drill size holes you want in the lid or get one of those mason jar drinking glasses do the same it will have a handle on it

Don't forget to keep another lid with no holes to cover the lid with holes. Works great.

I will also be trying the mason jar idea.

Normally I just try and make only enough rub for the task at hand, but it would be nice to have a premade stash.

As far as clumping goes, I bet mixing some Fresh Step into the rub would prevent that ;p

Mason jars are great. But use a lid without holes when storing leftover rub.

Back