1st cook on the YS640

Kaptain Kadian

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I did 2 pork butts and 2 chuck roasts to try it out. I tried out a new rub on the chuck roasts. I picked up a bottle of loot and booty everything rub. It was a good all around rub. I had some eat bbq sweetness and I used it on the pork butts. The cook was pretty uneventful. Only used about half a hopper full of pellets and it was at 275 in 10 minutes in 35 degree weather. It did have a couple of temperature spikes but nothing crazy. The controller was set at 300. It spiked to 350 a few times, but nothing crazy. I had my guru monitoring the temperature remotely and it was usually 20 to 40 degrees different in the middle of the cooker compared to the controller, but sometimes it was right on.

I am curious if anyone regularly cleans your thermocouple on your Yoder? Mine seems pretty dirty.
101a628ab09a01d30fe6d2f6106b4f34.jpg
f9e6c11a95b65917aac330034f42dc9e.jpg
1abcf17a3825f3ed65a2ae811b49f029.jpg
46311e888133f4a698e3f45bb16c2dcb.jpg

Great looking cook, Loot 'N Booty Every Thing Rub is my go to when cooking St Louis Spares on the PG.

That is one great looking cook! Dont know which I would dive into first?, OK Both!
First cooks on a new rig are always the best!!

Great cook!!

I clean the thermocouple every couple of cooks. I usually dump the ashes from the firepot prior to every cook and vacuum the inside every 3-4 cooks, depending on the duration of those cooks. I will clean the thermocouple at that time, using a probe wipe.

Looks great, how do you like it compared to your other cookers?
My lsg is still my favorite for taste. I really like it, but sometimes I just don't want to mess with charcoal. The Yoder is probably ahead of the Weber summit charcoal grill though.

Nice looking smoke!

I originally had spikes on my YS640 too but have been able to really mitigate them. Here is what I learned:

1. Make sure the hopper has been vacuumed out before every smoke.

2 On start up, I set it to the temp I want rather than let it go to the default start up temp as recommended in the manual (Yoder actually told me to do this).

3. I try to limit the amount of time I open or keep the lid open. The temp will drop a bit and there may be a bit of a small spike when I close the lid; however, I don't let this detour me from spritzing or anything else if I need too.

3. I learned to just chill and let the smoker work. It will find its temp and stay there unless I screw with it.

Congrats on your new smoker!

2 On start up, I set it to the temp I want rather than let it go to the default start up temp as recommended in the manual (Yoder actually told me to do this).

I usually let it start up at 350F and when I start to see smoke, I will change to the temp I want. I used to do the same as you but noticed it won't always start if you put it at low temps 160-170, which I use to smoke bacon or make jerky.

I follow Plata-O-Plomo's advice. Set to temp I want from start. I have found that mine will not run at 160-175 as I've tried to do bacon and summer sausage.

I vacuum the firepot and inside of the cooker before every cook...

I have not ever cleaned the thermocouple, but my cooker is due for a heavy spring cleaning, which I'm going to try and accomplish in the next several weeks as the weather breaks here in Illinois

Back