Ever used this injector?

monty3777

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
Sorry about all the gear questions - but I'm loading up the weaponry and appreciate your thoughts. This is a 9" injector. Ever used one? Is it worth the extra cash? Right now we have several smaller injectors and they work o.k. - just wondering if this will make life a whole lot easier or just a wee bit easier.

http://www.hawgeyesbbq.com/1967alg.jpg

The only problem with the one I have is that the needle tip is more rounded than pointed. Makes it difficult to go into the tougher cuts.

I have those.. Price on that site seems high at $38.99... shop around online and you'll find the same models in the $20-$30 range.. but if you're gonna spend that kind of money.. take a small set up and get a spitjack style injector.. I have one of these too and they make injecting much easier..

http://www.spitjack.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=MAGNUM

I agree with Dave though.. most of these have rather dull points.. the cheaper, smaller plastic models usually have better tips for some reason.

I have one similar to that one I think its an Eastmann. Stainless steel, its solid and hefty, but I don't care for the needle. I used a few times for butts, thats about it.

I have those.. Price on that site seems high at $38.99... shop around online and you'll find the same models in the $20-$30 range.. but if you're gonna spend that kind of money.. take a small set up and get a spitjack style injector.. I have one of these too and they make injecting much easier..

I agree with Dave though.. most of these have rather dull points.. the cheaper, smaller plastic models usually have better tips for some reason.

I'm with Vinny on the Spitjack, though watch folks like Chris Lilly work a disposable injector makes you think twice.

One very important consideration for any injector is the hole size. You have to match the injector to the maximum grain size of your injection. If you are only injecting liquid, it doesn't really matter. However, if you add your rub to your injection (as I generally do), you have to make sure that the holes are large enough to avoid clogs.

It's a bad thing to be in the middle of injecting and have to breakdown and clean the injector. The one I use has an open end and multiple needle sizes, and that helps avoid clogs.

I hope this helps,
John

I got one like this from bruce at spitjack. It came with 2 nice tips. One like pictured and one larger one for pushing thicker pastes. I also bought the smaller needle.

It works great! It's built well, doesnt leak, easy to use, washes up fine in the dishwasher, and has some weight to it so you know it wont fail!

Go talk to bruce and talk to him about his few injectors he sells. He's a great guy and can talk BBQ for hours on the phone.

Spitjack is the best purchase we ever made:biggrin:

I had one like that and did not like it. I use the spitjack like MilitantSquatter's thread. It is nice and easy to use

The only problem with the one I have is that the needle tip is more rounded than pointed. Makes it difficult to go into the tougher cuts.

Can't the needles be "Sharpened"? Seems it might be a good idea from time to time... Like one would shapen a knife to make it more efficent. A needle stroked across a sharpening stone should do the trick. JMHO :-?

I like the monster brine pump that Phil and others have. I've tried a spitjack as well and liked it a lot. I don't want to clean any of them! I've settled on making friends with my Vet., and toss it all after I'm done.

Back