• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Jamaican Hot Sauce "Grady" ?

Coltrain

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I was watching a recorded episode of Bizarre Foods last night and Andrew Zimmern was in Jamaica. Towards the end of the show he was at some family's house and was eating a fish that was stuffed with something. He then put on what he called "Grady" - He said it was Jamaican hot sauce made in old rum bottles. I think he said it was made with soy, vinegar, sugar, allspice and scotch bonnet peppers. It sounded really good so I tried to find a recipe online for it with no luck. Has anybody heard of this stuff? Anyone have a recipe? He was with an Asian family, so perhaps it was just something that their family made???

Grace's Hot Pepper Sauce is out of Jamaica:

http://www.hotsauceworld.com/grachotpepsa.html

This stuff wasn't like regular hot sauce - it looked more like an Asian dipping sauce. Here is a screen capture of the sauce:

grady.jpg

Man that looks hot!:mad2:

If you do get the resipe I would like to get it as well.

In College I had a roomate who would make the world's wimmpiest chilli. It was basically tomato soup with beef in it.

Then we got a new roomate, Magnon from Jamica. He had a sause that looked similar to that, that him mom made. He put two teaspoons in three Gallons of Chilli, and it went from wimmpy to scary hot.

His mother never gave anyone the recipe, but man I would love to have it.

John

I saw the episode. That's an Appleton's Rum bottle he has it in there. Looks like it's going to be tough to find a recipe...

Sounded to me like he said "gravy".

It is basically just vinegar and a little soy (and some allspice berries) in a bottle full of peppers. Same thing we do in the south with just vinegar.

It ain't rocket science.

The ingredients the OP listed are what Andrew said (I think). Shouldn't need the recipe since you already have a list of the contents. Just use the proportions of each that please your palate. A little fish sauce wouldn't be bad either.

I'm sure many Chinee families in Jamaica make a similar hot sauce. You've not tasted good Chinee food until you taste it made with Caribbean ingredients.

Geez, He's gone and busted it! :doh: Ok guys, here's the deal... That family is Chinese Jamaican (I actually know them... yeah small world, right??) but thats not a purely chinese thing. It's a True all round Jamaican thing. I've been making that stuff for years, and I've been planning to move to New Orleans and make MILLIONS off of it!

What it started out as is our local hot sauce we put on Oysters... and for that reason I can never eat oysters in the states cuz you guys dont have this & I'm sorry but your horseradish & cocktail sauce just doesn't even come close! But it can go on all sorts of foods... Predominantly seafoods.

Basically its:
White cane Vinegar
sugar/honey
pimento
carrots
onion/scallion or shallots if yah got em
yes you can add a touch of soy...
and a crap load of scotch bonnets!

You can make it as hot or as sweet as you want and its amazing either way. I'll try get a recipe down for you over the weekend. But remember I'm gonna make MILLIONS off it... so :tape:.......:wink:

Cheers

Phrasty, you are the man! I knew you could count on us to keep your secret. Hey, it's only millions, right? Thanks Bro for jumping in.

What it started out as is our local hot sauce we put on Oysters... and for that reason I can never eat oysters in the states cuz you guys dont have this & I'm sorry but your horseradish & cocktail sauce just doesn't even come close!

Ever been treated to Trinidadian oyster sauce? You've not lived until downing a few shooters in T&T.

I also like their dime sized oysters for this. Stateside you'd get laughed out of the oyster bar for serving those things...but boy they work great for shooters.

Thanks everyone for your input. I figured since he gave a list of ingredients on the show I would just try and mix up my own if I couldn't find a recipe. To me it sounded like a great hot sauce to use on fish tacos.

Geez, He's gone and busted it! :doh: Ok guys, here's the deal... That family is Chinese Jamaican (I actually know them... yeah small world, right??) but thats not a purely chinese thing. It's a True all round Jamaican thing. I've been making that stuff for years, and I've been planning to move to New Orleans and make MILLIONS off of it!

What it started out as is our local hot sauce we put on Oysters... and for that reason I can never eat oysters in the states cuz you guys dont have this & I'm sorry but your horseradish & cocktail sauce just doesn't even come close! But it can go on all sorts of foods... Predominantly seafoods.

Basically its:
White cane Vinegar
sugar/honey
pimento
carrots
onion/scallion or shallots if yah got em
yes you can add a touch of soy...
and a crap load of scotch bonnets!

You can make it as hot or as sweet as you want and its amazing either way. I'll try get a recipe down for you over the weekend. But remember I'm gonna make MILLIONS off it... so :tape:.......:wink:

Cheers

I'm in Oyster country.... Got a big ol gathering in 2 weeks.....This sounds like the stuff I wanna be packin.... Thanks for posting :clap2:

I knew you would chime in sooner or later. Thanks for the info. The recipe would also be appreciated here too! :thumb:

Ever been treated to Trinidadian oyster sauce? You've not lived until downing a few shooters in T&T.

I also like their dime sized oysters for this. Stateside you'd get laughed out of the oyster bar for serving those things...but boy they work great for shooters.

I once had a man work for me, whose wife was from Tobago Trinidad. He knew that I liked spicy food so he brought in some hot sauce that his wife had made. It was yellow, so I didn't think that it was dangerous. I put a few drops on my sandwich, and SWEET MOTHER OF NAPALM. I could barley breath. I learned the hard way never judge a sauce by it's color.

Back