Angus Brisket on the WSM

cbpeck

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I just fired up my WSM for the first time this year. I picked up a 14 pound Angus USDA Choice brisket for $2.43/lb. It's churning along nicely at 225 without any worries, but I still won't sleep well with it going.

This is my second attempt at a brisket. Early last year (before I got my WSM) I tried cooking a flat on my kettle. I pulled it at 190 degrees & it was almost inedible. :mmph: This time the brisket is in the WSM where it will stay until it's probe tender, probably around 200 degrees.

I prepped this brisket with a rub of kosher salt, black pepper, granulated garlic & a small pinch of both cayenne pepper & chili powder. It's cooking over Kingsford Competition Briquettes with white oak chunks & cherry chips (Minion Method). I think I'm doing everything right. If you have any last minute tips I'd appreciate them. Thanks!

no tips it sounds like you have a good plan started, just do like you said and cook until probe tender and I think you will find it to be great.

It's been 14 hours since I put the brisket in. I've only had to adjust the WSM once when it spiked to 255 after topping off the water pan. Other than that its been humming right along with the needle pegged at 235 (in the dome). I'm getting tempted to check the meat, but I know its still too early. I've thought about foiling it, but eh, I'll probably just keep it simple.

The smoke was a little thick for the first couple hours after putting the meat on, but it settled in very nicely after that. I always seem to experience this with my WSM. Even after waiting over an hour for the smoker to come up to temp, I get a fair amount of smoke for the first few hours. It isn't thick white, but it's not exactly thin blue either. After those first few hours there isn't any visible smoke. I presume this is because everything is combusting nicely.

"The smoke was a little thick for the first couple hours after putting the meat on, but it settled in very nicely after that. I always seem to experience this with my WSM"

I had that happen last weekend, I lit my wsm a little bit ago and just checked on it and although the smoke kinda heavy nothing like last week

Just checked the meat temp. Its at 185 in the flat. Here comes the question without an answer...

...how long til its done?

Ok, I know "its done when its done" but about how long will it take to gain another 10-15 degrees? I opened the WSM a bit and now it's humming at about 250 in the dome. Its 3:10 here on the West Coast. Are we gonna be able to eat this for a late dinner (7ish) or should we make other plans?

bump up the heat a bit... if will not negatively affect it...

if it's done sooner than serving time, you can let it rest in a cooler w/ towels.. that rest period is ideal.

Back