• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What is the best digital thermometer???

azfireman

Got Wood.
Reaction score
Can I get your opinions on a ranking of the best to worst digital thermometers? I have been looking on Ebay and some available brands are: Taylor, Polder, ACU-Rite and MIU. I am sure after a while I will upgrade to a wireless NU-temp but the funds are limited now.

Thanks,
Frank the tank

You ask a question that has been asked many times before.
No correct answer.

For multiple probe units--probagly the Mavericks.
For singel probe unit--Taylor is a leader.

TIM

I've had good luck with my Polders, Nu-Temps, Redi-Check and Pyrex.

So really, anything your 20% off coupon at Bed Bath and Beyond or Linens n Things will buy you.

Right now I'm running Redi-Check remotes with Pyrexs in the meat. My Polders and Nu-Temps served very long good lives.

It's just a thermo really...

For 13 and change at walmart they have the Sunbeam that I have had no problems with. Havent used them that long though.

Digital, 3-second read, the best in my books is Thermopen.

For 13 and change at walmart they have the Sunbeam that I have had no problems with. Havent used them that long though.

I just saw that the other day, it looks almost like a Taylor... I may have to pick up one of those too.

Taylors on Amazon.com for 13.99, just got mine last week.

I went through two no name wireless digital thermometers before getting a Nu-Temp.

The only reason I upgraded was for Wireless Range and I wanted to monitor mulitple probles from a single unit.

If i was you I'd just pop down my local hardware store/home depot/whatever and compare specs, and then pop them out of the box and check build quality (i.e. will they get greese stuck in the cracks, are probes robust, will they survive a quick downpour etc etc) and then just buy the best value unit infront of you.

For continous monitering "What the Kapn said"

For overall quality and accuracy, the Thermopen hands down.

I will go with the Thermopen also.
Count me in on the Themapen. However, I depend on my Nu-Temps, and they have proven themselves over the years.

Note: Of the Themapens, the orange ones are the most accurate!:twisted:

Note: Of the Themapens, the orange ones are the most accurate!:twisted:

Shoot, hear that. That's why I went with Orange!!!

As for probed units...got there, and all seem to work and not work on a regular basis. Someday we are going to get the interest of a company that will make the perfect unit. In my opinion the perfect unit will be similar to the modular medical units at the bedside in CCU's. allows application of different probes/units and reads out on a single display. Want five probes, no problem. something flexible and multitasking would be perfect. I;d spend a C note on it if it were guarenteed to be accurate and reliable. Scott

Handheld- Thermapen, hands down.

Wireless remote w/probes- Maverick ET-73

Like Kapn said............
I have Taylor and Polder and happy with both.

When they crap out it will be New Temp

I have a Sharper Image remote probe that I have been using for a couple years now and it works fine and has a good range. The part you carry is kinda big and it won't shut up saying "Your entre is almost ready" repeatedly but it works.

I have a Sharper Image remote probe that I have been using for a couple years now and it works fine and has a good range. The part you carry is kinda big and it won't shut up saying "Your entre is almost ready" repeatedly but it works.
I am glad it works for you, but about the fifth time it said "your entree is almost ready" I would beat it to death with my man-purse.:eek:

You guys make me laugh. Does Phil need one of those thermos???

i like my Nu-temp for low and slow.. for grilling and baking i go with my Thermopen.

Maverick ET 73 with four 5 foot long probes. The chamber & meat probes are interchangeable, so it gives me one for chamber temp & 3 for different meats. I still want a Thermopen, also.
Dave

Back