• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

KCBS BoD offers New Contests Help

ThomEmery

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
KCBS will begin to provide to a 1st time contest a non-sanctioned contest license. Currently we do assist a few “back yard” contests in a transition to a KCBS contest. Contest Reps providing these service, will register the contest with the KCBS office, and the office will then enter into a licensing agreement with the contest to utilize on a one time basis, all KCBS proprietary materials.

Going to be a real help getting new smaller contests off the ground
Thanks to the KCBS BoD for helping organizers everywhere
special thanks to Merl on this one

I think you'll need to find reps willing to help you out by doing it for free to get this service. At least that's how it's been in the past.

Well most contests can afford to cover the Reps :)
If they cant do that much
Who is Kiddin who? right?

I recall Merl Whitebrook posting on another forum that the cost of KCBS sanctioning, not including the expense for the KCBS Rep, is $300 plus $12 per team up to 49 teams. I put my mad spreadsheet skillz to work and came up with the table attached to this post that shows the cost per team for 1 to 49 teams. Take a look at it and you'll see that for a contest that has just 15 teams, say a first year event that is trying to be a qualifier, the cost per team is a whopping $32.00 and for a second year event trying to hit the magic number of 25 the cost per team would be $24.

I've heard organizers complain that KCBS sanctioning is too expensive and, while I don't know how much the Rep fees are, I would certainly be happy to pay the "per team" cost over and above my entry fee if that is what it would take to get an event KCBS sanctioned.

Attachments

• KCBS Team Cost.jpg
    KCBS Team Cost.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 66
I think that it is a good idea.

I think that it is a good idea but I think that a new contest should get two years of help. The first year is a reality check and then gather all info and start on the second year. The third year they will hopefully be pros at organizing contests.

The down fall I see is that when a organization runs an event where the officers change then you start all over again on the learning curve if the contest was not well documented.

To be quite honest, I dont think that we really need that many more BBQ contests out there...there are currently several 100 contests to choose from each year. does adding 1 more contest to KS or MO that will only draw 12 teams really make that much of an impact that they need to support these contests for the first few years.

To be quite honest, I dont think that we really need that many more BBQ contests out there...there are currently several 100 contests to choose from each year. does adding 1 more contest to KS or MO that will only draw 12 teams really make that much of an impact that they need to support these contests for the first few years.

With all due respect, I have see some flaws in your logic.

First, while there may be several hundred contests to choose from, how many of those contests are being held in a reasonably drivable distance from where you or I live? Right now it's great if you are living and competing in the central United States but I'm in Phoenix, AZ and we will have just two KCBS sanctioned events in our state this year. In order to do any other KCBS events we have to drive to California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado or New Mexico and the distances are anywhere between 300 and 800 miles one way to most all of the contests held in those states. We're more than willing to do that as our competition schedule indicates but it sure does cost a lot of money to drive there these days. I would be very happy and excited to have 2 or 3 more KCBS contests held in Arizona and if this policy will make that more likely then I am all for it.

Second, competitive barbeque is growing and more contests are going to start up simply due to supply and demand issues. As more people become involved in the sport, the demand for more contests is going to increase and more organizers and sponsors will rise to the challenge of creating new ones.

Finally, the other idea behind this new policy is to help KCBS protect their intellectual property and copyright. Many contests advertise and use KCBS scoring at their non-sanctioned events and this policy will give those organizers a lower cost option for using the KCBS system.

From my point of view, this is a Win-Win kind of policy.

LOL If it were that simple...................
But it is not

Thom, I know you have organized both large and small contests using both KCBS and IBCA formats. I keep hearing that "if it were only that simple" comment but never hear what makes it so complicated.

How about helping the Brothers out and explaining what makes KCBS or IBCA sanctioning so complicated and costly? Heck, start another thread if you have to but I'm sure many of us would like to know and to hear it from someone who has done it before.

Back