Equalizing horizontal and vertical chamber temps?

jtfisher63

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys I'm still learning how to cook on my new pit. It's an offset with a 24 x 24 firebox with a 24 x 72 horizontal chamber and 30 x 30 x 48 or so vertical chamber. The temps oddly are higher on left side(away from firebox side) of the horizontal but not by much, maybe 15*s. That's not a big deal to me. The vertical chamber is about 75* cooler than the horizontal though. What would be the best way to equalize the two chambers? Even if I could get them within 20*-25* I would be ok with that. I decided I'd rather have the vertical as a cooker and not just a warmer. I was thinking maybe adding tuning plates would help, but I'll ask you guys. Here's some pics.

The first two pics are of the flap between the vertical and horizontal taken from inside the vertical. The third pic is of the baffle/deflecter between firebox and the horizontal chamber from inside the chamber.

Jason

Attachments

• Pit 004 (Small).jpg
    Pit 004 (Small).jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 85
  • Pit 005 (Small).jpg
    Pit 005 (Small).jpg
    64 KB · Views: 85
  • Pit 007 (Small).jpg
    Pit 007 (Small).jpg
    70.3 KB · Views: 84
  • Pit 11 (Small).jpg
    Pit 11 (Small).jpg
    67.2 KB · Views: 85
that looks similar to the Klose Backyardchef. If the characteristics are similar, 30-50 degree span is about the best you will do, withthe vertical running cooler. It will take some time to master it, but i can get my BYC vertical within 30 degrees of the horiz by closing down the chimney about halfway and leaving the firebox dampers wide open. this will give me 220 in the vertical and 250 in the main.

Vertical however does not have even heat distribution, far bottom of the vertical is really far left of the horizontal and runs pretty cold.. but the shelf directly above the opening from the main into the vertical runs very hot. The shjelf above that runs cooler with a hot spot under the chimney.

it will take practice, but damper settings is the key.. damper the exhaust a little to hold in some heat and run the firebox wide open to keep the fire running clean.

Wouldn't cooler temps in the vertical chamber be desirable for smoking lower temperature foods, almost like cold-smoking?

the vertical can be used for cold smoking, or lower temp cooking like sausage... but personally, I had more of a use for it as a volume cooker and that vertical has can hold alot of food.

BTW, something I forgot.. i have also added what I have called and "assist pan." Its and old 13 inch cake pan about 5 inchs high with holes punched in the bottom for airflow. I have put that pan in the bottom of the vertical filled with about 1/2-3/4 chimney of fully lit kingsford. it helps keep the temps up. The curve of the pipe keeps the pan off the floor and gives it the airflow.

Back