• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Stacking Ribs....?

Whitewookie

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I've cooked a bunch of ribs over the years and after trying several different "methods" I always come back to the way I learned.

Cut the slab in half, paint them with sauce, mustard them up, rub them, salt and pepper them, or whatever you do to ribs then stack the two halves, cook them low and slow indirect, shuffle them about every 30-45 mins, and pull them when the ends of the bones are starting to stick out. usually a couple of hours.

Mine always come out juicy and tasty regardless of the sauce or seasoning.

Am I the only one that stacks and shuffles?

Oh I don't remove the membrane either... It just kinda disappears...:twitch:

VR,
Harold

I've stacked in a pinch, but you have to make sure to move them around a lot to get good smoke and bark.

Interesting. So what do you get out of stacking that you don't get out of not stacking?

OK... I'll try to address all at once.

Mainly what I get out of stacking is that they stay nice and juicy, never dry out. A secondary benefit is that you can do twice as many ribs in the same space.

I do move them around, usually about every 30-45 minutes. I always shuffle them in such a way that the surfaces that were inside are switched to the outside. If I'm using sauce I brush them when I shuffle.

As far as browning and bark, they seem to do fine if you shuffle them often. If I'm not satisfied, shortly before they are ready to pull, I'll just throw them on the direct side and sear them a bit, but this usually isn't needed.

VR,
Harold

Next time I have to cook a bunch of ribs,I will give it a try.

Next time I have to cook a bunch of ribs,I will give it a try.

If you mustard them up, let the mustard cook in for the first shuffle/rotation then start adding sauce or whatever... Just a suggestion.

VR,
Harold

If ya lookin ya aint cookin. Hey if it works for ya terrific but I don't think I'll become a convert anytime soon. If I need more room it is the perfect excuse to UP size the pit. My goal is to own Cuz for a patio pit before I croak.

I have cooked some this way over the years, works fine. Not my cup of tea, too much interacting with the cook. I do like rib racks, and think that would have to be my preferred technique.

Sorry I had to bail in the middle of this yesterday... Something came up. No I haven't tried rib racks, but I might. I'm always open to new ideas, but as of yet I haven't tried anything that works any better. This is by far not my original idea. An old timer taught me this years ago when I was stationed in Oklahoma.

The thing is though that the last couple of years I've been getting more into the "Q"... The science and techniques and what-not..

VR,
Harold

I've stacked ribs on the kettle. IMO better to stack and shuffle than make only what can fit one layer. :wink:

I will stack when I get the color I want and the ribs are not quite done I may try it with the racks like in clw's post if I need more room.

I've stacked as many as 3 racks on top of one another while doing an indirect cook on a gas grill.
Figured they tenderized each other.
I usually don't do that many racks at the same time anymore.

Back