Anyone have a good recipe for these ingredients?

Diesel

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My wife challenged me to make something with these ingredients,

Pork ribs, scallions, baby portabella's, celery, onion, minced garlic, fresh Belgioioso Romano cheese and the the final ingredient is rice.

Anyone one up for it? Feel free to add anything because I probably have it or can get...

the only thing I can think of is a stir fry...

*naaa, that would be be good*

Last edited:
Those ingredients have soup written all over it. Add some carrots and possibly potatoes.

Brown the ribs in the bottom of the pot with garlic and onion. Add celery, portabella, scallions, then cover with water and simmer. Salt and pepper to taste. Make some rice using some of the broth. Pull the ribs out of the pot and remove the bones and toss the chunks of pork that you don't accidentally eat back into the pot.

Serve soup over a bowl of rice and add cheese.

It would also make a great stir fry.

Chris

Cook up the ribs per your favorite recipe, then pull the meat off and make a Jambalaya.

There is an app called Big Oven that has an option for these exact situations... but I admit the Brethern probably have better suggestions..

The only thing that throws off the jambalaya for me is the cheese...

Can you add other ingredients to the party or just those?

If you can add in a couple extra things. A few things that come to mind.

Onions, celery, garlic, scallions make a veggie stock out of it (need some carrots and some herbs for this)

With the veggie stock you can use it to cook the rice for a portabella mushroom rice. If you want to get daring you can even make a mushroom risotto using the stock, mushrooms and rice. (substitute the rice you have for the arborrio rice that is typically in risotto)

The ribs I would do a simple salt/pepper/garlic powder rub and smoke them up till fall off the bone. Before the ribs finish do a quick mop of a soy ginger sauce (don't over do it so the ribs don't get salty) Spoon the risotto into a dish, take rib meat and place over the top so it looks pretty. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and grated romano cheese over the top.

It will end up being a nice earthy umami type of dish.

At least that is what I envision in my head.

the ribs with a kind of risoto with the rice that has the veggies and mushrooms chopped fine and the cheese grated in .....sounds pretty good to me

The cheese is the wild card. First off, smoke the ribs with a light smoke. Then in a dutch oven, sweat the aromatics. Take the ribs, place on top of aromatics, add 1 cup of wine and 2 cups of stock. Braise for two hours. Cook the rice, mix In the grated cheese and some pepper.

Off the top of my head, stuffed mushroom tops come to mind. If the portabellas are baby, they might just be bites, but it'd still work.

Smoke the ribs as normal, and shred the meat.

Cook the rice, preferably in stock.

Dice and saute the onions, celery, and garlic.

Mix these things together. Experiment to find the ratio for best flavour and mouthfeel.

Put the mixture into hollowed mushroom caps.

Top with scallions and cheese, then bake.

Can you add other ingredients to the party or just those?

If you can add in a couple extra things. A few things that come to mind.

Onions, celery, garlic, scallions make a veggie stock out of it (need some carrots and some herbs for this)

With the veggie stock you can use it to cook the rice for a portabella mushroom rice. If you want to get daring you can even make a mushroom risotto using the stock, mushrooms and rice. (substitute the rice you have for the arborrio rice that is typically in risotto)

The ribs I would do a simple salt/pepper/garlic powder rub and smoke them up till fall off the bone. Before the ribs finish do a quick mop of a soy ginger sauce (don't over do it so the ribs don't get salty) Spoon the risotto into a dish, take rib meat and place over the top so it looks pretty. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley and grated romano cheese over the top.

It will end up being a nice earthy umami type of dish.

At least that is what I envision in my head.

BINGO! Now you have my mouth watering. This one gets my vote!

Yup soup. Basically what I did too but instead of white beans you could do rice.
chixchili123.jpg

I would make a chicken fried rice with celery, portabella mushrooms, and carrots, get some tomatoes and crusty bread and make bruschetta, and make the ribs how you normally would.

the ribs with a kind of risoto with the rice that has the veggies and mushrooms chopped fine and the cheese grated in .....sounds pretty good to me

Funny. I was thinking the same thing. Add a long pour of aged (>15yr) balsamico on top and you got yourself a great meal!

Lay the veggies out to attract a deer- kill and butcher the deer. Smoke the deer and the ribs low and slow until tender, eat and enjoy.

Stuffed breast of pork. Cut a pocket between the rib meat and the ribs, use the other stuff to make a stuffing. Brown pork in oil. Stuff pocket. Tie with twine to hold everything in. Braise in roasting pan with white wine & herbs. Make sauce from braising liquid. Cut between bones to serve.

Thanks everyone for the ideas! We never had a jambalaya, so I gave that a try and it was a HUGE hit with the entire family... Now if I can just remember what spices I tossed in. This place is really great!

Back