Cold Smoke Generator

nmayeux

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I know several brothers have bought/made these cool little tools, but this is my first attemp. Used a $6 aquarium pump, a brass hose connection, and about $11 of black iron (not galvanized!) pipe fittings. Total cost under $20. Still might look at one of those professionally manufactured units, but will try cheese and bacon with this little beast first!

Attachments

• 2011-12-13 17.04.32-1.jpg
    2011-12-13 17.04.32-1.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 239
  • 2011-12-13 17.04.17-1.jpg
    2011-12-13 17.04.17-1.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 238
Do you light it with a lighter and then fill from the top? Do you have a picture of the bottom?

Actually, I took about a quarter of a charcoal briquette, and started it using a propane torch. Once started, I dropped it into the smoker (resting on a screen) and dropped wood chips on top. After screwing on the top and turning on the pump, she produced a steady flow of smoke.

I have one on my Christmas list. If I don't get one, I'll have to try this.

That is a nice unit ya built. Have you found any gooey resin build up problems with it?

Looks neat.I use this,it works pretty good too.

100_4870.jpg

100_4871.jpg

100_4876.jpg

I've got a Smoke Pistol and A-MAZE-N pellet smoker, http://www.amazenproducts.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=AMNPS5X8
Both are great products - especially for supplemental smoke or Cold Smoking.

Todd's AMAZEIN pellet smoker is especially nice since it can burn pellets or saw dust and does not need "special" cartidges. I will admit the Smoke Pistol appeals to the geek in me, but the AMAZIN smoker is so simple as to make me wonder why I didn't think of it!!!

Both products are great for cheese and sausages or other true cold smoke items.

I really like the soldering iron idea. When you cold smoke do you still use coal to heat the chamber? As for the OP do you put coal in the pipe then light her up? I'm guessing the pump feeds the fire and pumps out the smoke. This whole cold smoking is a mystery to me and I would love to see what it's all about

I will probably try the soldering iron thing next. However, like Dave, I really like the Smoke Pistol idea, but didn't like the cartridge aspect. May look into the pellet/sawdust thing.

I just picked up a used ( very slightly ) big khuna from one of the brothers. Now I need to fab an old cooler or something to smoke some cheese. I will post pics once I get it going. Once I loked at it and knew what tools i have at my disposal, I figured I could make one of these also....excellent photos and I bet yours will work great.
Awesom idea.

Chuckster

Back