cold smoked meat storage

rocketmanray

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Having never cold smoked ANYTHING, I watch in amazement that there are quite of few that that do it successfully.

How do you store the cold smoked meats? Do they require refrigeration or are they best kept in the freezer for long term storage?

I hot smoke a lot of fish, and usually keep it in the freezer until I use it.....

RMR

Having never cold smoked ANYTHING, I watch in amazement that there are quite of few that that do it successfully.

How do you store the cold smoked meats? Do they require refrigeration or are they best kept in the freezer for long term storage?

I hot smoke a lot of fish, and usually keep it in the freezer until I use it.....

RMR

Your question has so many variables...

One can cold smoke a small amount or a large amount, as well as smoking cured meat vs uncured meat.

Personally I prefer to cure my meats to avoid bacterial growth during curing or long periods of brinning.

Smoking small amounts usually indicate the product will be consumed within a few days and storage can be accomplished in the refrigerator until consumption.

When I make sausage, I make 30 - 50 lb batches and after smoking I vacuum seal in 3 lb packages and then freeze them until needed.

I cure and smoke hams in batches and freeze the extra until ready to cook and eat.

I smoked cheeses in small batches and vac-sealed and keep in the refrigerator.

I also smoke fish in small batches to avoid spoilage and refrigerate until consumed. I guess larger batches could be frozen, but I prefer to do fresh fish.

Your answer is all about what foods are available, what your preferences are, and the quantities of food used in your smoking process.

Yes, I unintentionally left that very open ended. Thanks for taking the time for the response - you make some very good points on the subject.

Ray

All good points and sound advice. One exception I take with cheeses and trout, steelhead and salmon is that I do larger amounts and give plenty away...

Your friends must look forward to your gifts..... As we all know our friends are appreciative of smoked goodies....

Oh so many variables. We cold-smoke salmon after curing. How long it lasts depends on how much salt and how much smoke (both are preservatives) are taken in. We refrigerate, but it is usually gone within a week, so I can't tell you how long it lasts. Cures used to be much saltier than now, primarily because we have refrigeration and we aren't depending on the cure as a preservative. My friends in Spain cold-smoke sausage and pork and may store it at room temperature for 6 months or longer, but that is their centuries-old technique. Your nose is your best guide. I've never frozen anything I've cold or warm-smoked.

Back