What the Tongs???

If you want to cook them to mush just wrap in foil, no tongs needed.

I have never cooked them fall off the bone.... This is how I pick mine up, $2.00 tongs...

picture.php
[/IMG]

Thanks,
Greg

I’ve been using the 3-2-1 method the last few cooks and that last 30 minutes to an hour is tough to move them around is why I was asking I’m not to picky about how a perfect bite or fall off the bone I like them either way

I'm surprised nobody here has said it...if they fall apart when picked up, they're way over done.

EDIT...didn't see the above responses.

Last edited:
I'm surprised nobody here has said it...if they fall apart when picked up, they're way over done.
Yes. I have found the 3-2-1 method, used with a Traeger or Camp Chef pellet pooper, to be particularly effective at achieving mushy, fall-apart ribs. Five hour total at 225deg is as long as I've ever had to go to get the "clean bite"stage. As a certified judge I am not fond of most competition ribs but KCBS does get the done-ness criterion right.

As I said, I use two spatula/pancake turners. This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NHMQ0PW but it probably depends on the cooker. In mine, the racks are parallel to the front and there is no easy way to insert a long spatula from the end, though that would be nice. I just slide the two spatulas under the rack, each one out towards the end. The center, maybe two or three ribs, is unsupported but that has not been a problem.

Nobody in my house likes them cooked that far done. Gotta leave a bite mark but pull clean on the bone.
Sometimes the wife wants rib meat sandwiches and I'll overcook them for that. Then there's the occasional misfired cook...

Last edited:
Back