Hi from Michigan

Michigan62

Found some matches.
Reaction score
New member. live in southeast Michigan. Just started bbq about a year ago. I have a masterbuilt electric smoker right now looking to upgrade to a offset smoker. I love spending time smoking meat and relaxing. My favorite part of smoking is people enjoying my food. I have a question that I hope someone could help with. What are some good offset smokers out there and are there any custom smoker builders close to my area? Thanks for all your help in advance and can't wait for all the help and fun to come!

Hey..Royal Oak native here, but long before it was hip.

Welcome.

Welcome aboard!

While I cannot offer advice on an offset, I can offer advice on BBQ - HAVE FUN! :-D

This forum is the place to be to soak up the wisdom. :-D

Welcome! I think there are some up there but I’ll let others from the area weigh in. Academy Sports has some decent affordable ones and can ship if they don’t have stores in your area.

I’ve considered going that route myself though I’ll probably pick up a Shirley Fabrication 36” if I buy one.

A quality offset is expensive. I bought my first offset used just in case I found I didn’t like the time offsets demand. If you can find a quality offset used I recommend it.

Welcome Aboard!

Grew up near Metro Airport. Been in the DFW area of TX for the last 4 years. Your best source of high quality meat is going to be Eastern Market, IMHO:thumb:

I was bitten by the BBQ bug so bad, I would cross the bridge or tunnel over to Windsor. Would go to the Canadian version of Home Depot to purchase Maple Leaf Charcoal briquettes and lump. Great Stuff!:wink:

Welcome to the Brethren!!

Cant give you advice about offset's, never used one. But these guys here will help you as best they can!

Welcome to the brethren. I am up in Lapeer. No offset though. I am sure you will be getting a lot of input though.

Welcome. I guess it depends on how much you want to spend and how far you are willing to drive. Meadow Creek makes good quality smokers. They have dealers in MI and Ohio

Outlaw BBQ Smokers is in Indiana. There is a guy in Jackson that makes Aaron Franklin style offsets. I will see if I can get his name and number. I know he has made a few big units for restaurants also.

I was looking at getting a shirley 24×65 or a lang 60 so that tells you the price rang I'm in all your help is greatly appreciated 👍

Forget the offset or fancy custom builds for now. Go get a wsm and master your craft for now. Oh, and welcome to an awesome site!

I don't know whats near Michigan for offsets, but aside from the giraffe nature of my LSG (and draft door) I quite like it. Once at a smoke temp it becomes a rock solid easy feeding cooker. Were I to do it again I'd look at the Shirley patio model with a caveat or two.

If you are dead set on an offset and would like to try it out for not a lot of money, I saw this today that looked intriguing. $300 at Home Depot.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Kingsfo...IaNz2yRGUV6mS-edSSL8F2OzfH11NWLGniHP9H8sIH5Es

Video on the pros and cons: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09OqciCS8K8

kingsford-cart-style-grills-sc2315801-kf-64_1000.jpg

I was looking at getting a shirley 24×65 or a lang 60 so that tells you the price rang I'm in all your help is greatly appreciated 👍

You aren't far from me at all, if you want to put eyes and ears on a couple Shirley Fabrication builds before placing an order you'd be very welcome to visit and spend some time going over them here if you like.

Welcome again!

Forget the offset or fancy custom builds for now. Go get a wsm and master your craft for now. Oh, and welcome to an awesome site!
I disagree with this. Sure, you need to take your lumps as you learn, but if you are able to acquire a higher quality piece of equipment from Day 1, do it!:thumb: This site IS quite awesome!:mrgreen:

From electric smoker to offset? That escalated quickly. LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back