• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

What the Tongs???

Delbridge11l

Reaction score
Hey guys when cooking those tender fall off the bone ribs what would you say is the best method to remove them??? I have removed them with tongs normally but I can’t seem to find a long enough pair and always come close to a rib falling apart casualty. What’s the best tongs or method to remove ribs from the smoker out there?

I use Insulated Rubberized or Silicone Gloves, cool to 400+ degrees......two hands work great. Use them to flip while cooking too.

I use a pair of stiff spatulas/pancake flippers. I just slide one under each end of the rack. The middle is a bit unsupported but I never cook to the fall-off-the-bone point anyway.

Watching BBQ Pitmasters the other day I noticed Johnny Trig using spatulas to remove his ribs. Now my go to when smoking a slab or 12.

I have something similar to this but never remember to pull it out. I think mine were called rib flipper or something like that.
0393cfed3bff4bc815c52d25d1b54943.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I typically pick them up carefully with a towel and spread my fingers out as much as possible.

Found it. My tool wasn't as big as I thought it was. It's a Wolfgang Puck product.
ebe1fbdec7a501c840fad2059fa69941.jpg

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I use weber tongs I bought at Lowes. They are long enough to scoop up the whole rack usually.

I have no idea how to describe it, but I use 16" long tongs and use them length wise. The ribs are supported inside the length of the tongs. I'd take a picture, but I don't have any ribs on hand.

Thanks for the recommendations guys I have an ok set of tongs but I’m definitely on the search for some bigger ones. I’ll probably end up trying the gloves and a big spatula at some point as well. I haven’t lost any ribs yet but I know how I’ve been moving them one is bound to happen. I’ll take the advice and see what I come up with!

Nobody in my house likes them cooked that far done. Gotta leave a bite mark but pull clean on the bone.

Back