MAK Grills talk/pics/thoughts/reviews and appreciation thread

Thanks for starting this Robb! We have had our for 11 months now and love it.

Here she is smoking away
I hope all the new MAK owners enjoy the grills as much as we have

Wow. Impressive. Do you mind sharing how you did the wings and turkey?

Grill Grates

G9uFMwG.jpg

D7eGgTa.jpg

A few things I have learned in just under 2yrs of owner ship.

Unless you are just doing short grilling cooks like Burgers, Chicken parts, Sausage, Reverse Sear Steaks make sure the Fire Pot is cleaned out before the cook. My rule of thumb is if the grill has ran for more than 2hrs or I am going to be running for more than 2hrs for the cook I start with a clean Fire Pot. Have only used Lumber Jack Pellets and had a couple of flame outs because the Fire Pot was not clean even though the cook before were just short cooks.

The MAK has 3 different fan speeds they are

60% of max from smoke to 245
80% of max at 250 to 295
100% max rpm at 300+

When I cook Ribs I cook them at 245 instead of 250 to take advantage of the lower fan speed to impart slightly more smoke, maybe just a figment of my imagination and there might not be a difference but I'm going to take advantage of the lower fan speed when I can. When you bump from 245 to 250, 295 to 300 or vice versa you will hear the fan change speeds. :wink:

Hope some of you find this helpful.

^^^ Good point Kevin. I clean the fire pot and exterior after each cook regardless of cook time at first I thought it was a PIA but it really takes like 90 seconds to empty the fire pot and not more than 5 min. total to have it all wiped down

Don’t have any pics to show off. Just wanted to say that out of all the smokers I’ve cooked on that the Mak is definitely my favorite. I’m a pellet head for sure. I did another throw down on a smoked chicken breast cook. Pellet won big time over charcoal this time. 4 wins for pellet, 1 win for charcoal, 7 ties so far.

So here’s the results of the biscuit tests... I started the grill and set it at 300°, once the temp was reached I let it settle in for 30 minutes. At the 30 minute mark I put the biscuits on and didn’t open the lid for 30 minutes...

Here’s the results of the first test with the thermocouple in the hanging position...

I totally expected the thermocouple being placed in the center would take the slight hot spot out of the center!

Wrong...

Very interesting me thinks! What are your thoughts?

For now, I’m done with biscuit tests, and ready to cook something we’ll eat!

A few patties with Oak Ridge Carne Crosta! DAYUM man!!!

The rub is a light on the salt side, which for us is perfect because we use Redmond’s Real Salt around here so the over the top salty rubs get used sparingly. Now we have a spice we can use liberally with Real salt! It’s a win win!

Some how, the Carne Crosta makes beef taste like BEEF!!!

A few things I have learned in just under 2yrs of owner ship.

Unless you are just doing short grilling cooks like Burgers, Chicken parts, Sausage, Reverse Sear Steaks make sure the Fire Pot is cleaned out before the cook. My rule of thumb is if the grill has ran for more than 2hrs or I am going to be running for more than 2hrs for the cook I start with a clean Fire Pot. Have only used Lumber Jack Pellets and had a couple of flame outs because the Fire Pot was not clean even though the cook before were just short cooks.

The MAK has 3 different fan speeds they are

60% of max from smoke to 245
80% of max at 250 to 295
100% max rpm at 300+

When I cook Ribs I cook them at 245 instead of 250 to take advantage of the lower fan speed to impart slightly more smoke, maybe just a figment of my imagination and there might not be a difference but I'm going to take advantage of the lower fan speed when I can. When you bump from 245 to 250, 295 to 300 or vice versa you will hear the fan change speeds. :wink:

Hope some of you find this helpful.

Great advice!

These details are helpful in approaching our cooks.

Is there anything else you can share?

My interest is max smoke flavor prior to searing for steaks, and then bark formation on ribs, brisket, and pork shoulder.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

So here’s the results of the biscuit tests... I started the grill and set it at 300°, once the temp was reached I let it settle in for 30 minutes. At the 30 minute mark I put the biscuits on and didn’t open the lid for 30 minutes...

Here’s the results of the first test with the thermocouple in the hanging position...

I totally expected the thermocouple being placed in the center would take the slight hot spot out of the center!

Wrong...

The rub is a light on the salt side, which for us is perfect because we use Redmond’s Real Salt around here so the over the top salty rubs get used sparingly. Now we have a spice we can use liberally with Real salt! It’s a win win!

your getting some nice color inside that cooker Jeremy

Great advice!

These details are helpful in approaching our cooks.

Is there anything else you can share?

My interest is max smoke flavor prior to searing for steaks, and then bark formation on ribs, brisket, and pork shoulder.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks

I see you own a KJ BigJOE. What do your current methods look like to achieve the results you are after as described in your questions? It may be easier for us to tell you not to change a thing or perhaps suggest a tweak or two to your current practice(s). You may not need to reinvent the wheel :)

Wrong...

Those middle biscuits with the thermocouple placed in the middle of the main grate have me scratching my head. Although they are all cooked fairly even, I’m not sure what would have changed them to be a bit darker from the first test to the second. On the first test, you mentioned that the thermocouple was in the “hanging position.” What does that mean? Was it resting on its perch (base)? Or was it hanging from somewhere in the cook chamber?

Also, did you place the biscuits on the main grate for the second round immediately after placing the thermocouple at the center of the main grate? Or did you place the thermocouple on the main grate and give the cooker some time to adjust to the thermocouples new location? If they were done at the same time, I may have an idea...

Hanging on it’s hook in the back left corner.

I rolled the cooker out and started it with a set point of 300° and placed the thermocouple in the center at that point. Let it come to temp, which it overshot buy 20°. After the overshoot it settled back down to 300° and I let it set there for 30 minutes before I put the biscuits in.

Don’t misunderstand, I ain’t complaining, just found the results interesting. :thumb:

Hanging on it’s hook in the back left corner.

I rolled the cooker out and started it with a set point of 300° and placed the thermocouple in the center at that point. Let it come to temp, which it overshot buy 20°. After the overshoot it settled back down to 300° and I let it set there for 30 minutes before I put the biscuits in.

Don’t misunderstand, I ain’t complaining, just found the results interesting. :thumb:

Oh no, wasn’t taking it as a complaint at all, more a minor mystery wanting to be solved... lol. If you allowed the cooker to stabilize w/ the thermocouple sitting in the middle of the main grate, than I have no idea why there was a small difference one test to the next. Either way, pass the jelly or gravy, cuz I’d have eatin’ any of those biscuits :)

I see you own a KJ BigJOE. What do your current methods look like to achieve the results you are after as described in your questions? It may be easier for us to tell you not to change a thing or perhaps suggest a tweak or two to your current practice(s). You may not need to reinvent the wheel :)

Hi Rob

I've been cooking less and less on the KJ since buying the One Star.

My question was directed at understanding the fan speed relationship to the temp settings on the controller, and the effective smoke production.

I recall you mentioning your preferred temp for tri-tip at (I think) 295 F since it provided excellent radiant heat from the uncovered Flame Zone while providing prodigious smoke.

What would be the suggested temps and related airflow for bark formation on brisket, short ribs, and shoulder?

Thanks

Last edited:
Hi Rob

I've been cooking less and less on the KJ since buying the One Star.

My question was directed at understanding the fan speed relationship to the temp settings on the controller, and the effective smoke production.

I recall you mentioning your preferred temp for tri-tip at (I think) 295 F since it provided excellent radiant heat from the uncovered Flame Zone while providing prodigious smoke.

What would be the suggested temps and related airflow for bark formation on brisket, short ribs, and shoulder?

Thanks

Gotcha!

As far as fan speed:
—Smoke-245° will not allow the fan to exceed 60% of its max rpms.
—250-295° will not allow fan to exceed 80% of its max rpms.
—300-Grill will allow fan to run at full speed.

The slower the fan the more smoke for 2 reasons. First it allows the fire to smolder a bit more. Second, the fan does not push the smoke out of the cook chamber as quickly as when it’s running at full speed.

As far as my preferences and methods for bark formation. I pretty much do all low n slow cooks at 210°, and only bump the temp if timing becomes an issue. I always start butts/briskets before bed the night before they need to be done. Makes for an easy/stress free cook as there’s plenty of time and no matter how long the stall, it’s always ready by dinner the following day.

As far as tri-tips, yes, I have found that I like cooking them at 295° start to finish... but I also like smoking them for 3-4 hours and then finishing them at searing temps. Both methods turn out a great product. That said, the use of my Jaccard and an overnight dry brine is what makes the biggest difference to me when it comes to a good vs great tri tip.

For things like ribs, short ribs, etc... things that take a long time but don’t require an overnight cook, I still do them really low n slow. Just to give you an idea, my St. Louis spares typically take 8-9 hours. Yes, I could easily speed them up, but we love the results we get at 210° and I am rarely in a hurry when I smoke, as I plan accordingly. I rarely wrap meats on the MAK, but prefer to spritz instead.

Just some of my preferences... but surely not the only way :)

Preferred storage container(s) for pellets?

If I want to swap pellets out for a different flavor, what is the best storage container for the pellets that have been removed from the grill? Are buckets the best? If so, what size do you need for 20 lbs of pellets?

If I want to swap pellets out for a different flavor, what is the best storage container for the pellets that have been removed from the grill? Are buckets the best? If so, what size do you need for 20 lbs of pellets?

I rarely change pellets, but have a couple of Homer buckets/lids for when I do. They work great and are cheap.

I use the Lowes 5gal buckets with lids - food grade, BPA free and will easily hold a 20lb bag of pellets.

qHd8sRB.jpg

Dear MAKnation-
I don't think I can do my inaugural cook until next weekend. I was hoping to have the new addition by this weekend, but it looks like I won't have it until mid next week at the earliest. I'll be following everyone else's MAKtion until then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back