PBC and Lighter Fluid

jgarcia

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I have two questions for the brethren

1 - Does lighter fluid ever go bad? I have some that is at least 10 years old since I do not use it anymore.

2 -for those that have a PBC, it says to use lighter fluid. Can I just fill the basket with unlit coals and dump 1/2 chimney of lit coals on top of it. Looking to see if any PBC owners have different methods for lighting their fuel.

Yeah I dont see why. It might take a little longer on cooking times. Basically you are doing the minion method and will take longer to get up to temp. Go for it.

I doubt it goes bad, there's just no reason to use it. Fill your basket, then toss about 15 coals into your chimney, and get it going. As soon as the chimney is ready, dump it into your basket, and you're golden.

Matt

I have two questions for the brethren

1 - Does lighter fluid ever go bad? I have some that is at least 10 years old since I do not use it anymore.

It's basically kerosene, so I don't see how it could go bad.

2 -for those that have a PBC, it says to use lighter fluid. Can I just fill the basket with unlit coals and dump 1/2 chimney of lit coals on top of it. Looking to see if any PBC owners have different methods for lighting their fuel.

I've used both the lighter fluid and partial chimney method (about 1/4 of the PBC basket worth) and both work. However, I've abandoned the chimney and just use fluid now (even in competition).

John

nothing wrong with using a little lighter fluid.. when im on my small grill.. i use a little to get my fire started... burn it off for about 45 minutes to an hour before i put my meat on the lil cooker... food taste just fine...

I doubt it goes bad, there's just no reason to use it. Fill your basket, then toss about 15 coals into your chimney, and get it going. As soon as the chimney is ready, dump it into your basket, and you're golden.

Matt

This is what I do but I may take a leap of faith and start using lighter fluid.

I just fill the basket and then light up 10-15 briquettes in the chimney. Dump them on the basket 10 minutes later, place it in the bottom of the barrel, wait 20 minutes to let the cooker heat up, and then throw the meat on
Overall, takes 30 minutes for me to be hot and cooking'.

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I'll try the lighter fluid, and if time allows this weekend try without also.

I used some old lighter fluid one time and got the worst, nastiest, stanky smoke you ever smelled or saw. I asked a friend what he thought happened and his best guess was that water over time built up in the container (cold weather) which caused the lighter fluid to become diluted and not burn as efficiently. The fire taking longer to get going caused more smoke than normal.

I smelled that nasty smell in my smoker for weeks.

lighter fluid.. just follow direction and it will be fine.. I have never tasted in any of the cooks that I have done with the PBC

While I use a BDS (pretty much the same thing as the PBC) I use a weed burner to light mine then let it come up to temp w/ lid off but like others have said I'd assume the lighter fluid would be good unless water has leaked into somehow.

Back