Question about BBQ resturaunts

B

BIGBrandon2785

I go to a local BBQ chain and as I walkin I smell the sweet smell of smoke,I get my food home and take a bite of my rib,not a hint of smoke flavor.The only smoke flavor I got was from the sauce that ive added.

My question is,How can the place smell like a smoke house but the meat taste like it cooked in a oven???Ive had this happen at about 3 places now.

Smoke air fresheners in the restaurant. Same reason why you bake bread before you have an open house to sell your home.

Stay out of the chains......
I try man,the only non chains around here are quite a few miles away.But I can say,Super Smokers is a small BBQ chain around here and they got some killer Q

I know what you mean. We have a "BBQ" restaurant where I live, and outside it always smells sooooooooo good. The food, though, just tastes like roasted meat w/ bbq sauce. Bleh...

I know someone could do well with an authentic Q joint in my town. I just don't have the expertise, energy, money, or inclination for that someone to be me.

Smoke your own. :wink:

^^^ tish, a true 60's child... :p

I dont know that I've ever, and I mean EVER had barbecue at a chain that I'd bother going back a 2nd time for. I've only had a few restaurants worth a flip now that I know good Q from average Q from crock-pot/oven Q... Of those, the worth a flip kind, every one of them is/was run by folks (was going go say guys, but I've run into more than a few women who can barbecue like no tomorrow) who'd competed and had very good success competing. Mind you, it's not required (competing), but I've yet to find one where they hadn't had that success; not yet anyway.

We do have one around here that makes an AWESOME chicken salad sandwich! Seriously.

I go to a local BBQ chain and as I walkin I smell the sweet smell of smoke,I get my food home and take a bite of my rib,not a hint of smoke flavor.The only smoke flavor I got was from the sauce that ive added.

My question is,How can the place smell like a smoke house but the meat taste like it cooked in a oven???Ive had this happen at about 3 places now.

Because it is.

Most chains use SP's or OH's which are basically big gas fired ovens that wood can be added to to add some flavor.

Most chains load their meat at night, throw on 3 logs and go home for the night. The next morning the BBQ is done but its been oven cooked with minimal smoke.

Why would you EVER eat bbq at a chain???

Wood fired grill in the kitchen would be my guess

Lots of BBQ joints keep a wood fire going just to smell up the neighborhood.

If they let me, I take a peek in their kitchen. Lots don't want you to see how they do their BBQ.
No Crust or Smoke ring is a sure sign I'm in the wrong place.

Because it is.

Most chains use SP's or OH's which are basically big gas fired ovens that wood can be added to to add some flavor.

Most chains load their meat at night, throw on 3 logs and go home for the night. The next morning the BBQ is done but its been oven cooked with minimal smoke.

Why would you EVER eat bbq at a chain???

You just described my work :laugh::laugh::laugh: and it sure as he.. not a chain either.

I went to chain mentioned in an earlier post and ordered some smoked pork loin and watched them pull it out of the fridge and microwave it. Gotta be careful of those open kitchens. Some things shouldn't be seen. Just sayin

I had a short conversation with a guy that delivered BBQ to a company training session today. They also use SPs. It is also a chain. The thing is - and I don't know if I'm accustomed to it due to the fact I grew up with it or what - but I think it's dang good! It's a chain called "Buddy's," and they've been around for as long as I can remember. However, it did have smoke flavor and a pretty decent bark. And I love their sauce. Maybe there are chains that can actually make good BBQ!

I had a short conversation with a guy that delivered BBQ to a company training session today. They also use SPs. It is also a chain. The thing is - and I don't know if I'm accustomed to it due to the fact I grew up with it or what - but I think it's dang good! It's a chain called "Buddy's," and they've been around for as long as I can remember. However, it did have smoke flavor and a pretty decent bark. And I love their sauce. Maybe there are chains that can actually make good BBQ!

I've had Buddy's many times. Pretty decent Q for a fast food type of place.

I took my family and friends to a local BBQ restaurant called "Local Smoke BBQ" in Cookstown, NJ just outside McGuire AFB. They claim to be a national competitor in the name of "Fat Angel BBQ".

As a consumer I was greatly disappointed... All of the sides were COLD (not even warm), The ribs were charred black like they were put under a broiler for much too long, and the membrane was not removed which was like parchment paper glued to the back of the dry overcooked meat holding it in place on the bone. The brisket had the texture of dry sawdust in a pile and had no shape. The pulled pork dripped with water (Not meat juice) and was soggy and tasteless as if it were boiled.

Like I said as a consumer I was deeply disappointed, but as a member of the BBQ community I would be embarrassed to be associated with them in any manner.

Needless to say that will be the last time any of the six couples and our families will ever spend our money there ever again. The food was so bad I wouldn't go back for a free meal. So when you are on the road forget about sampling there product at competitions. This is my opinion of their products which I bought and tasted.

It is really sad when one cannot take pride in their craft and strive for excellence, but rather they are more interested in selling poor quality food for a quick dollar.

OK, I know that "OH" is Ole Hickory...what is SP? You can PM it to me, if we are not saying the full name to protect the "innocent". Thanks

Back