Dry brisket again, what am I doing wrong?

I think the ring might be because you are using Montreal Steak seasoning, which has mystery spices in it.

That brings up a good question. The Montreal Steak Seasoning is a little salty for my taste as well. What do ya'll use as a rub for briskets?

This all brings up something

The Montreal is simular to my trilevel final rub. It actually WAS MY rub at the end until I could make it cheaper, then I adjusted it.

This on one thing I think is funny about "experiments." The access to too much information is a disaster waiting to happen for those that do not understand empirical (all other factors being normal) methods. You cannot go through 14 different ways of doing a brisket and pick and chose and expect not to waste some meat.

About Montreal (Or my rub) and its uses.

Adopting a new Technique you see here, then putting your own "spin" on it Before you commit to the "experiment" or technique is not an "experiment" but a mess.

In my article Rub ratios and salt I make a case that a brisket packer can only hold "x" amount of rub naturally.

Eg. 1 - Add some kind of watering agent of mustard and it adds more... at that point, unbeknownst to you, you are doubling my recipe on the brisket and perhaps trippling it.

eg. 2 - Next, if the recipe calls for a PACKER then dumping the brisket in a vat of spice as I do once it has been dried picks up "x" amount of rub that has to be balanced by dividing the surface area I treated with the rub with all the meat inside that is not treated. This means that when you chose to do a recipe like this with a flat... you are increasing the salt ratio.
This is why we don't treat ribs the same way... higher rub to mass ratio.

eg 3 - So now you want to do the rub technique or the high salt technique on a packer precisely done this way... then you foil it. The original recipe was for free basting and draining, now you are braising the meat in its own (quite salty) drippings. result - salty.

eg - 4 - or a person decides to use a mop, which depending on the mop, can reduce the level of salt, raise it as well as change the cooking time thus the exposure to the smoke - result, not the same thing.

eg - 5 user decides to do the whole thing at 220 degrees when a recipe (high salt) is designed for an aggressive hot smoke of 325... the rub that was desgned to be robust enough to hold on and impact a body of meat that is weeping, sizzling and spewing a mist of juices an fat, thereby basting the meat and dripping more salt as well as reducing the bite of the pepper, is now going to be saltier and hotter due to the lacxk of the same effect on the rub and meat.

So - sure experiementation is cool, as is putting your own spin on things, but if you want to save money, pick a technique, stick to it for the first time, then try to decide what LITTLE thing you might change.

ps Montreal has no impact on ring really. I mean I don't think there is a magic ingredient like sea salt or TQ in it.

That whole section of you put it back on the pit after foiling it to crisp it up is what makes the alarm bell go off for me. I've cooked super trim flats many times with good results. 195 to 170 to 195...that sounds like the issue right there.

I agree Zilla. There is somthing real suspect about the temperature readings here. I find it hard to believe that kind of temp drop from just removing the brisket from the smoker and wrapping. Somethings not accure.

I am not sure, if I look at the ingredients, it says one thing, how it affected me when I was monitoring my diet suggested that it has something that affected blood sugar levels in me. That could only me MSG (which they would have to list) or some form of flavor enhancer that could be listed as 'natural flavor'. I no longer use it because of the effect it seemed to have on my system.

That being said, you will not go wrong with one of the things I take away from most of Brother Funks posts, which is that often times, straightforward is best and diligence is rewarded. I use less salt in my rubs due to the fact that most of my diet is very low sodium. So if I use something like Popdaddy's dirty dalmation, I find that I need to cut the salt by 1/3. And yes, I know it affects the outcome.

I cooked a 6# flat Sunday fat side down. I stayed at 250* grate level 4 hrs until I foiled. At this point I flipped it fat side up, and added 1/4 cup of liquid, and moved it into a 250* oven, so I could smoke some sausage. It stayed in the oven 2 hrs. until the temp was 195*. I let it rest 1 1/2 hrs,
It came out moist tender and delicious.
I have followed this procedure for 3 years, and had only one flat come out dry.
My oppinion is that you should have let it rest in the foil, instead of putting it back in the pit.

All I can do now is take what I've learned from you guys and do it again. I WILL NOT be beaten by the brisket!

Back