• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Kettle Fried Steak dinner...

caseydog

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I decided to make some chicken fried steak, mashed potatoes, and fried okra on Sunday, but wanted to try grilling the CFS using the kettle fried chicken technique.

So, here we go. I made the gravy first. A good CFS gravy must start with butter. Half a stick of butter.

picture.php

Then you need an equal amount of flour, and some serious stirring.

picture.php

Then you need milk, salt and fresh ground black pepper.

picture.php

It starts off watery, but once it hits a boil, it thickens up just right.

Next, I made some garlic mashed potatoes, from scratch, of course. I like to leave the skins on my taters for mashing. Just some milk, butter crushed garlic, salt and pepper in the mixer.

picture.php

I took some top sirloin, and beat the crap out of it. I like to make my CFS with better steak than is traditionally used.

picture.php

I dredged the steak in flour, then through an egg wash, then through flour again, and finally coated it with melted butter. Then, on to the 18.5 OTG indirect.

picture.php

I deep fried some breaded okra to sop up some more of that gravy, and when it was all plated up, it was a cardiologist's worse nightmare, but I sure did enjoy it.

picture.php

The kettle fried steak tasted great, but a too much of the crust fell off during the cook, so I probably won't do that again. The gravy was awesome. A good Sunday dinner all around.

CD

What seasoning did you put in the second flour dip?

I had never even heard of chicken fried steak until I moved to Texas. The first time I had it, I fell in love with it. Whether I make it at home, or order it at a restaurant, I always get mashed potatoes and fried okra for my sides.

Like a lot of traditional foods, it can be awesome, or it can really suck.

Honestly, I wish restaurants would abandon tradition, and upgrade their choice in steak. Using cheap-arse meat makes sense if you are a poor mom trying to feed your family in the 1920s, but if you are going to charge me good money for it in your restaurant, spring for a better cut of meat. I don't want to pay fifteen bucks for two dollar's worth of tough beef run through a tenderizer.

CD

Back