• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Overnight Brisket on Weber Performer

WhatsCookin

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Just kicking off an overnight cook. 12 lb brisket below, on sale at my local Randall's for $1.49/lb. Noticed after I got it out of the cryopak that there was not much fatcap, and the point was rather undefined. Also, some oddly tough "skin" on the top, that resulted in overtrimming, as it was really tough. Hopefully it's not a disaster. :wacko:

So, trimmed, dusted with dirty dalmatian rub, and let her sit on the counter for about 90 minutes. Set up for the ring of fire with KBB , lit 4 coals, and waited about 40 minutes until I saw 250 degrees. Put her on at 10:15 pm. Plan is to check this thing at when I wake up at 6:15, and see where we are.

Updates to follow.

0ovhpdul.jpg

Looks Promising...

The weber was showing about 300 at 12:30 pm, and it was steady there at 3:30 am when I took a glance out the window.

This is how she looked at 6:30 am, 8 hours in, right as the rain came into my area. :rolleyes:

She's probing at 197, but feels a little tight still, so a bit longer is probably in order. She smells pretty good, too.

http://i.imgur.com/l0hwTUUl.jpg
l0hwTUUl.jpg

Last edited:
If you are reading this, thanks for sticking with me. :)

I know it's a bit of a cheat, but I'd exhausted all the fuel in performer at 6:30 am, and it had started raining hard here, so I put her in a 250 degree oven for a further 2 hours.

I then let it rest on the counter for an hour, then into the now "cool" oven for a further 2 hours.

Here is a pick of the point separated from the flat:

i5YBVXvl.jpg

Here a few slices from the end of the flat closest to the point. Nice and juicy.

H4UQ7WWl.jpg

This is a slice from the point itself.

pLXNfOJl.jpg

Verdict: Pretty darn good. Moist, with a very well-developed bark. The bottom edge, closest to the heat on the flat, is a bit overdone and somewhat chewy, but I'm not too unhappy with that, as I didn't wrap or inject, or spritz, I just did it "straight up", and I might be near the limits of my equipment. Some of the bites are just magical. :)

As an aside, I think with my setup (Performer) a 12 lb brisket is probably about the biggest I'd go. In my first shot, you can see the raw product hanging well over the edges of the cookie sheet. In my cooked shot, you see just how much it shrank in length, I'd bet a good 5 inches. I had to fold the flat end over a bit initally, to keep the point from sitting over the coals.

So, now I just wait for the verdict from the rest of the family later this afternoon.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
I bet it would be even better if you sliced across the grain instead of with it. I'd still eat a huge portion of that even if is sliced wrong:cool:

Back