They're ALIVE!!!! 2013 Edition -- Garden growing tips, tricks, pron

Prolly just a couple of things. Tomatoes peppers squash not too sure what else.

Most of our gardening is done in Earth Boxes, which are still under snow.
Except for the 4 that I have garlic planted in.

One thing I've learned about maters is that for me they do best when they don't get FULL sun especially at the height of the summer. I plant them in the backyard so they get most of the early morning and afternoon sun, but not much of the evening.
As for peppers, they can tolerate full sun. You can either prepare a large area of soil, or you can prepare just the hole for each plant. Remove the soil where the plant will go, mix some of the soil with fertilizer, potting soil and then use that new soil to back fill.
I like to start from seeds with most everything. But you could start off with seedlings too.

Maybe I should plant the corn I'm gonna grow this year in such a fashion to shade the maters then... Hmmm

Sent from my fancy schmancy iPhone using Tapatalk from right outside your window.

No poop of Any kind is recommended unless it is composted first. After composting,all poop is cool.

By the middle of March, hopefully it will be composted. I'm pretty sure it will be decomposed. :confused:

CD

I have very soft soil. Basically sand. And I have a lot of trees it will only be partial sunlight no full.

Down in Granbury, you will most likely need to add organic matter. Soil in that area has lots of mineral content, but not a lot of organic content, if it is like the soil in Cresson. I've (unintentionally) tilled up some soil at Motorsports Ranch, and it looks pretty weak on organic matter.

Take a soil sample to your county agricultural extension office, and they will do an analysis on it, ant tell you exactly what you need.

CD

Get some netting for your tomatoes, or the birds will peck holes in them. They won't mess with the peppers.

CD

Never grown a garden in my life but want to this year. Have no idea what to do or where to start anyone have any tips for a first timer?

You should check out a book called The All New Square Foot Garden, its by a guy named Mel Bartholomew.

It will show you how to get good results from a small space and less work.

Wow! This may be the answer to my current garden dilemma. I've been wanting to make seriously raised beds- about 4' high, and have constructed frames made out of 12' long, 4' high skids. I was going to fill them w/ composted manure, but was wondering how to contain all that soil, given the space (~4") between the skid slats, w/ a non-rotting material. I had figured on screwing wonderboard to the skids for walls, but now....this is cool. I've got a bunch of rotting rounds and other brush, tons of leaves, etc., that can be put to use. I'm gonna look into this. Thanks for sharing.

Fahrvergnugen!

Wow! This may be the answer to my current garden dilemma. I've been wanting to make seriously raised beds- about 4' high, and have constructed frames made out of 12' long, 4' high skids. I was going to fill them w/ composted manure, but was wondering how to contain all that soil, given the space (~4") between the skid slats, w/ a non-rotting material. I had figured on screwing wonderboard to the skids for walls, but now....this is cool. I've got a bunch of rotting rounds and other brush, tons of leaves, etc., that can be put to use. I'm gonna look into this. Thanks for sharing.

Fahrvergnugen!

My own experience with raised beds has been very good. I have used rough sawn cedar boards, and have been very happy with the results.

The two main advantages of raised beds, from my own experience, is that you can fill the raised beds with good soil, and you get good drainage. Good drainage means you have moist roots, but not waterlogged roots.

Of course, whether or not you need raised beds depends on your native soil. Talk to a certified gardener (what they are called down here) before starting a garden. This is a worldwide forum. What works for me in Dallas is not likely to to work for you in Connecticut. You need to get advice that is tailored to your location.

CD

The way Mel does it in the book would make it not matter what soil is in the area. He fills his boxes with a soil mix that he makes himself and he knows what mix is in it because it says on the bags. I would never tell anyone to not do more research before trying it though.

Never grown a garden in my life but want to this year. Have no idea what to do or where to start anyone have any tips for a first timer?
Go to your county extension agent they should have or can get all the information you need. County extension is a very useful tool for finding what grows in your area

I don't even think they have extension offices out here

Sent from my fancy schmancy iPhone using Tapatalk from right outside your window.

put out the irrigation systems to the older Hugels today
150946_10151254561607759_1689891929_n.jpg

535645_10151254561617759_515711865_n.jpg

so all have water to them now except the far upper left one still need to heap on a heap of compost then i'll get the water to it, and plan to plant mid to late february probably plant onions and garlic within the next few days though since they do so well here.
189274_10151254561812759_1041447063_n.jpg

Anyone else's season started yet? Lets see what you've git

Man Man I love to grow my vegetables been doing it since I was a little boy. If it were not to rain for 2 weeks in Alabama and the sun shined I might be able to plow it has been the wettest winter i can remember. But if it didn't rain we would be fussing wanting it sooo I will take it as I get it. I rememer as a little boy when i was cutting up (which was not often) my mamma would Say " "son it is fixing to be to wet to plow" and i shored myself up pretty Quick!!!!! Would give anything to here her say it today cause I miss her!!!!

I'm in full swing down here. I work out of three (soon to be four) raised beds in the back yard. Very simple 2x8 lumber framing a box that I fill with topsoil & garden soil.

So far this year: Japs, pablanos, Anaheims, Butch T Scorpions, Red & Yellow Bell, Radichio, Iceberg, Carrots, Spinach, and my radishes just sprouted under the lamp yesterday morning. I've got more carrots and some beets in the seed tray right now. Once those seeds are out and in the ground, I want to try some peas and green beans.

Don't have a whole lot of backyard to mow anymore (which is fine by me). I'll take a picture tonight and post it.

Russ

My own experience with raised beds has been very good. I have used rough sawn cedar boards, and have been very happy with the results.

The two main advantages of raised beds, from my own experience, is that you can fill the raised beds with good soil, and you get good drainage. Good drainage means you have moist roots, but not waterlogged roots.

Of course, whether or not you need raised beds depends on your native soil. Talk to a certified gardener (what they are called down here) before starting a garden. This is a worldwide forum. What works for me in Dallas is not likely to to work for you in Connecticut. You need to get advice that is tailored to your location.

CD

Hmmm, I thought this thread was gone. Glad it isn't. Anyway- Casey- I happen to
be a Certified (by the UConn Extension Service Program) Master Gardener.

I've done Square Foot, raised beds, vertical, row, no removing of dead material, mulch, no mulch etc over the years. It's fun to change things up every few years.

This German thing has me intrigued!

Here's a pic of what I was in the process of doing. See my earlier post above re: the plan. There are about 60 garlic cloves under the straw and those are raspberry plants on the right.
IMG_1011_zps6be6adac.jpg

This area now has the 2 "skid rows". The bird netting is my most effective anti-squirrel device!
IMG_3105_zps510bb862.jpg

Back