• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Coleslaw ?

Pa_BBQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I want to try some coleslaw that is not the mayo type but not sure what its called. The kind you get on pulled pork sometimes.

What is this called, I want to look up some recipes.

Or if you have a good one to share would love to try it.

My wife calls that the 'non-mayo' type of coleslaw! Heh heh.

Seriously, that would be the vinegar based slaw with lotsa black pepper!

There should be tons of recipes around the interwebs - and if that fails, be sure to check out the recipe section here on the brethren's site . . .

Mmmm. I love me a nice soft bun... Some pulled pork... A dash of BBQ sauce and a spoon of slaw .. mmmmm mmmm mmm

deguerre's vinegar slaw - it's in the recipe section - now my go-to slaw, but modded by using evoo instead of veggie oil and throw some sriracha sauce in there (mod gotten from redhot). It's great stuff!

Don't cut yourself short Cook. I've had some might fine Q down your way.

I thought I'd posted this already but.....good thing I compose in note pad.

I have a regular group that comes over for pulled pork. Two thirds the Vinegar is the hit. One third the mayo is the hit (this group includes my wife but not myself, so you know I have to make the mayo also)

Mayo.
I think I stole this from Harbormaster.
1/4 cup cider vinegar (I use white pickling)
1 Tablespoon granulated sugar
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh fine grind black pepper (not powdered)
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
3/4 cup Hellman's Mayo (don't ever use Kraft Miracle whip)

Mix all well. Pour over shredded head of cabbage stir. Keep refrigerated.

Vinegar Based.
1/2 Cup Granulated Sugar
1 teaspoon salt (non iodized sea salt or kosher salt)
1/4 Cup light vegetable oil
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 Cup cider vinegar. Make sure your vinegar has not lost it's bite. If it has buy new.

In a sauce pan combine over medium heat. Simmer stirring until sugar is dissolved and everything is incorporated. Cool to room temp. (24C or so) pour over coleslaw. Toss well. Refrigerate until well chilled, toss a couple more times while it's cooling. (it is better when the cold can contrast with the warmth of the pulled pork. But that's just me.

Back