• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Buffalo Ribs

Carbon

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I bought a rack of buffalo ribs the other day from a butcher. They virtually look identical to beef back ribs. I was told that these are a lot leaner.
Should I smoke these any different than doing spareribs or beef back ribs? I plan on doing them on the kettle tomorrow. Thanks.

I've been afraid to do Bison ribs for just that reason. I'll be watching this thread closely to see what comes up. I'm really interested.

If you don't get any responses, at least let us know how yours turned out.

I know that buffalo is a whole lot leaner be careful not to over cook them buffalo ribs might get really tuff if cooked to long or hot. I get buffalo a couple times a year and love it I am sure you will too.

29c8adeb.jpg

cc778b53.jpg

I buy bison back ribs too, and treat them pretty much like beef ribs with a couple of exceptions. I do brush the meat with a light coating of oil, and add some light oil to my mop..... and as they begin to tender up, I keep a close eye on them so I don't over shoot the doneness. I keep the seasoning pretty simple so I don't loose the delicate bison flavor. Some racks will have some serious pull back, or bone shine.

99716037.jpg

47dd6fb5.jpg

25aa80d9.jpg

Thanks all! I'll see how they turn out tomorrow night.

Thirdeye: Those look fantastic. I'll keep the seasoning simple.

MO that is not a bad idea at all.

You could dip them in ranch or blue cheese, :icon_smile_tongue: how much you want to bet they would be kick butt.

Well, I ended up doing 3 slabs yesterday in the wood oven. One slab was seasoned with rub and the other two were S&P. I had enough residual heat left in the wood oven from a high heat firing 2 nights prior, all I did was add a chunk of oak for smoke over the old live embers.

I immediately noticed how easy it was to remove the membranes from these slabs compared to pork and beef ribs.
I left them in the oven for about 3 hours and did not foil as I usually don't when doing spares, baby backs, and beef back ribs. I think that was my mistake of not foiling them as these ribs came out a bit too dry for my taste. Otherwise they tasted great, both the rubbed and the S&P ribs. I'll definitely try them again.

George

Attachments

• P1050050.jpg
    P1050050.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 87
  • P1050060.jpg
    P1050060.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 87
  • P1050072.jpg
    P1050072.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 85
  • P1050069.jpg
    P1050069.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 85
  • P1050095.jpg
    P1050095.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
Man...thanks for the pics and for being the guinea pig. I've been wanting to do Bison ribs for a long time, but have been too afraid of ruining them.

I mean, it's one thing to waste $15.00 on a couple slabs of inedible Pork spares... it's another altogether to waste $36.50 on a couple slabs of bison ribs you royally eff up.

But now I've been emboldened! Gonna have to try these now.:clap2:

Back