• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Polar Swine

Hawgsnheifers

Take a breath!
Reaction score
Anybody know if there is going to be a Polar Swine contest this year here in N.E. Kansas? I thought it was around the first part of the year and at Lake Pomona or Lake Melvern last year?

Todd-
Yes, it is usually the first full weekend in Feb. At Eisenhower State Park. (Melvern)

I'm having trouble finding sponsors this year.... Usually we get some sponsor $$ or prizes to help make it fun. We typically have 1/3-1/2 the entry fee go to expense (the spots, electricity, etc) and the rest go to the meager, but coveted prize pot.

We are still planning on having it. I'm just moving slower due to that issue, and the fact that the I have the Kookers Kare winter funfest in Feb. as well this year.

I am getting with Don C. and we will have something out shortly.

make sure I have your email - and I will make sure you get the e-packet :)
I know Jon, Will and some others have expressed interest as well... Anyone wanting a packet in the next week or so, just shoot me an email with your email address... andyg@smokeonwheels.com It is an annual event we will not let die.

I plan on using the time off I have around Christmas to get everything out.

Todd-
Yes, it is usually the first full weekend in Feb. At Eisenhower State Park. (Melvern)

I'm having trouble finding sponsors this year.... Usually we get some sponsor $$ or prizes to help make it fun. We typically have 1/3-1/2 the entry fee go to expense (the spots, electricity, etc) and the rest go to the meager, but coveted prize pot.

We are still planning on having it. I'm just moving slower due to that issue, and the fact that the I have the Kookers Kare winter funfest in Feb. as well this year.

I am getting with Don C. and we will have something out shortly.

make sure I have your email - and I will make sure you get the e-packet :)
I know Jon, Will and some others have expressed interest as well... Anyone wanting a packet in the next week or so, just shoot me an email with your email address... andyg@smokeonwheels.com It is an annual event we will not let die.

I plan on using the time off I have around Christmas to get everything out.

I think it is the second full weekend. Usually the weekend after the Superbowl. That is Michael's birthday weekend. The contest has been the weekend after if I recall.

Andy, my suggestion is to leave the rules of no forced air in place. Using an Ole Hickory, Guru/Stoker, or pellet pit just takes the "polar" out of Polar Swine.

Andy, my suggestion is to leave the rules of no forced air in place. Using an Ole Hickory, Guru/Stoker, or pellet pit just takes the "polar" out of Polar Swine.

Might not be an option this year... without additional monies from sponsors, the best way to get the prize pot up, is to be more inclusive. We have had several teams say they would love to come if "x"....

While we have always prided our lil contest on being "stick burner" only...we may have to bring all comers this year. We'll see how it looks :)

Might not be an option this year... without additional monies from sponsors, the best way to get the prize pot up, is to be more inclusive. We have had several teams say they would love to come if "x"....

While we have always prided our lil contest on being "stick burner" only...we may have to bring all comers this year. We'll see how it looks :)

Well then, double walled & insulated pellet cookers it is. I was going to challenge myself and bring just the WSM, a Cambro, and a knife but what the hell.

Rules??

Rules...I don't need no stickin rules...

I was planning on sleeping on top of my smoker for heat...is that allowed??

If it's anything like today, you might want to sleep in it.

never know when you will wake up on a sheet of ice...... on the lake :)

Using an Ole Hickory, Guru/Stoker, or pellet pit just takes the "polar" out of Polar Swine.

Where does the heated trailer fit in the "polar" equation? :p

This sounds like a lot of fun but it sounds like it's on the same weekend as Great Bend. :confused:

Where does the heated trailer fit in the "polar" equation? :p

This sounds like a lot of fun but it sounds like it's on the same weekend as Great Bend. :confused:

Our little event is unsanctioned. Great Bend was going to be on top of us in 2008 so we switched to an earlier weekend. Polar Swine in 2008 was the 8th/9th. For 2009, We will schedule it for 2/6-7 I believe.

I have not wanted to sanction ours - since #1. It was a no forced air/augers/etc. #2. Judging is not blind.(you get instant feedback)
That and the cost of sanctioning would eat into my ability to give that money back as prize money.

That said, it should the weekend before Winter Que.:razz:

Thanks Andy for the update. I thought it was in January. I'll be crusing the Eastern Carribean from February 1st until the 10th. Guess I'll have to miss it. See you at Smoke in the Spring in April.

Back