• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Dead Granny Smith Apple Tree..can I use it in my stick burner

Smokin' Deal

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place to post, but a friend has a dead Granny Smith apple tree and has offered to cut it into logs and give me the wood. I've seen the tree ...guessing it's been dead about a year, and some bark has moss in it.

I don't want to look a gift horse in the mouth. I have been buying wood from a local firewood supply (hickory, cherry and apple). Any thoughts on whether to use the wood and if so, any issues or concerns? What about any bark with moss?

Thanks!

I just didn't know if I should use any of the wood...any past chainsaws used, and similar wood used in a stick burner? Does it have to age before burning .

I burn tons of apple. Love it. If it's been dead over 3 months it's ready. Remove any nasty bark and you are good. It's a flavoring wood like hickory. It would be a waste to burn it as a heating wood like oak or mulberry IMO.

I primarily smoke with Oak, Hickory, and Pecan, but...
I burn Apple, Pear, Peach when it's available.

That's great wood. I wood look for oil marks from chainsaw and cut off if possible. Knock the mossy bark off and you should have some awesome wood. Mild, fruity wood.

I wouldn't worry about oil from a chainsaw. There is so little that makes it to the wood. The moss will be the first stuff to burn off and won't effect the smoke.

Don't listen to those farkers above! Load it up and drive it over to St. Joseph, MI, only about a 2 1/2 drive, so that I can dispose of it properly. :biggrin: Think of all the flack you will take from your neighbors if you try to burn it, remember how they crucified Mr. T just for cutting the trees!!!!!

Thanks to all the Brethren for responding...looks like I have some wood to burn!!:biggrin1:

Back