picture.php

Nice, but I need some blueprints to figure it all out.

:heh:

Here's a step by step video....

http://img88.imageshack.us/slideshow/webplayer.php?id=20done.jpg

Your making a good choice, you won't be sorry.

True dat! I wanted a smoker for quite some time and as I'm a poor boy I made do with a gas grill and was never happy. I found this site and made a UDS for less than $75 and I'm very pleased.

I have another drum that was used to hold sesame oil and does not have a liner setting in the garage that I'm going to make into an even better smoker than my first one.

Dag gone it smokerking........I'm currently building a UDS and saw your picture. Wont be doing this on my current one.......I want it done by next weekend for a comp:shocked:. But I printed your picture for future reference, I love welding square things to round objects, it gives the ol brain a workout

I have been trying to figure out what is meant by seasoning the UDS. I have seen a couple people say that they used Crisco to season/coat the barrel. Could someone explain to me exactly what is meant by this or the proper way to do it.

Thanks to everyone for the answers and suggestions. Now to start the building of my own UDS.....

I am building and the only ash pan I could find was galvanized. Since is is for ash collection only with that be OK?

I am building and the only ash pan I could find was galvanized. Since is is for ash collection only with that be OK?

No. Did you check Home Depot or Lowes for water heater pans? These are usually large with big rims great for catching ashes. Otherwise, a large cheapo pizza pan will work. Show us what you are working with and I am sure someone will come up with a fitting suggestion.

it will probably be fine. a lot of folks here wont use it because of some belief it will harm you.. .although there is no real proof it harming people who use it. hell, they use galvanized pipes in drinking water systems.

I'm a new member here but I have been reading alot about uds's. Wana thank everyone for the great info and ideas, and would like to share how i make my charcoal baskets. Instead of using expanded steel i go to the local salvage yard and pick up a 15 inch front wheel drive rim. The bolt face is offset on a front wheel drive rim compared to a rear wheel drive rim. They work great, about 8 inches deep and 14 inches inside dia. Just put a weber smokey joe charcoal grate in the bottom and weld or bolt some 3 inch bolts to the bottom and of course wash and clean anything off of it, then fill it with charcoal and get it really hot when u burn your barrell out and its ready. It is a little heavy but its 10 bucks for the rim and 10 bucks for the grate, and no welding or cutting.

I'm a new member here but I have been reading alot about uds's. Wana thank everyone for the great info and ideas, and would like to share how i make my charcoal baskets. Instead of using expanded steel i go to the local salvage yard and pick up a 15 inch front wheel drive rim. The bolt face is offset on a front wheel drive rim compared to a rear wheel drive rim. They work great, about 8 inches deep and 14 inches inside dia. Just put a weber smokey joe charcoal grate in the bottom and weld or bolt some 3 inch bolts to the bottom and of course wash and clean anything off of it, then fill it with charcoal and get it really hot when u burn your barrell out and its ready. It is a little heavy but its 10 bucks for the rim and 10 bucks for the grate, and no welding or cutting.

Would you happen to have any pictures? Sounds great!

Back