Experiment: Smoked Bacon-Burgers & Garlic Corn on The Cob

T

TheCrazyWhls2

Hey Everyone!

I consider myself still somewhat of a noob when it comes to smoking since not too many recipes have been tried out on the smoker. We've done pork ribs, beef ribs, tri-tip, and a chicken, but mainly gone with store-bought rubs & sauces. However, last night we decided to experiment with the smoker and I thought I'd share with you all and get your thoughts on it.

Smoked Bacon-Burgers & Garlic Corn on The Cob!!

You read that right. Smoked. Bacon. Burgers. Now I'm not just talking about burgers with some bacon on them. No no no. While looking for a good local meat shop, I found one that made "bacon-burgers." Obviously intrigued, I asked them about 'em and bought one at a cheap price considering how big they make the patties. These guys are geniuses because they actually grind bacon into the ground beef, so every bite is infused with bacon-y goodness! Easily the best burger I've ever had. Having had smoked burgers before, we wondered what a smoked bacon-burger would taste like.

Bacon-Burgers-Prep.jpg

You can see here, they're some good sized patties. They didn't need any seasoning at all. The Corn we soaked in water for about 2 hours in the husk but removed the silk. After the soak they were given a generous rub of butter and garlic salt.

Bacon-Burgers-Smoker1.jpg

Into the smoker they both went for an hour and a half at 225. Sadly it got dark too early so it's hard to see our pretty smoker. We used hickory chips for smoking.

Bacon-Burgers-Smoker2.jpg

Almost done!!

Bacon-Burgers-Done.jpg

And voila!! Smoked Bacon-Burgers & Garlic Corn on The Cob. Letting them sit a few moments before serving them.

Bacon-Burgers-Finished.jpg

As you can see, they came out a perfect medium to medium rare. The corn had a slight crisp to it while still maintaining that juicy goodness with a great smokey-garlic taste. The burger was so good I didn't need to add any condiments! I'm the kinda guy that only wants to taste the meat. No bunny food! :becky:

While I believe the burgers came out great, I think I may save the bacon-burgers for the grill instead of the smoker. I have had them cooked each way now and I promise that they are excellent either way, so it mainly comes down to what flavor you want more of. On the grill, you get a really strong bacon flavor to each bite with a taste of something that reminds me of BBQ sauce (something I'm assuming the meat market mixes in to the patties) where as in the smoker, the hickory smoke seemed to overshadow the bacon-y goodness but draws out that hidden BBQ taste a lot more. I'm wondering if we should try putting just a handful of hickory chips in the grill next time?

Anyways, hope you enjoyed our lil experiment and let me hear your thoughts!

Great post, never heard of that(bacon ground into ground beef). What a concept:-D. As far as the burgers, grilled or smoked, dunno. But I do know that I would dive into one of those burgers you've got pictured there like a duck on a June bug.:clap2::clap2:

Never haeard of bacon ground with the burger. Something I can make at home. Do one each way and I'll test taste them for you. They look mighty tasty.

Looks good to me! Gave me some ideas too. Gona try chopping up some bacon and mixin' it in the next time i do burgers.

I've actually never had a smoked burger before. I always grill mine. Was the texture a lot different since it didn't have the seared outside?

Yes, to me texture is different...like a meatloaf. However, the smokey flavor is really good.. just dont get the sear and grill marks like a regular grill....

david

Not a fan of smoking beef. Pork, chicken, fish... absolutely. Beef... not so much.

Yes, the texture is different but it's not a radical difference. Like bandityo said, it almost has a meatloaf like texture but still very much like a burger. It sounded really weird to me when I read about them, but they're really good!

Looks great!!! After reading a post on here sometime back, I regularly grind me up 4lbs of chuck and add 1 pound of bacon. great stuff although, I do them more on the medium to medium well side with bacon in them.

is very good, last night I made bacon cheese burgers. I chopped several slices of bacon added a pound of very lean ground beef and about a half cup each of finely shredded cheddar and jack cheese and seasoned with some foil hat rub. Grilled until done and served with corn on the cob. They were good, so I know yours were good.

Oh wow, you added the cheese into the beef?? Now that sounds good! I might have to try that next time! heh.

Back