Dried Mint Leaves??

The_Kapn

Moderator Emeritus

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have been cooking a lot of lamb recently and love mint with it.

Fresh mint is "hit or miss" (mostly miss) around here.
Can't find starter plants to grow myself.

Anyone use the dried/crushed mint leaves?
On-line reviews are really mixed.

Thanks,

TIM

Sure, I get mine from a Lebanese store.
Pretty easy to find mint growing, it's all over the place here.
Have you tried rosemary, EVOO, and pepper on lamb?

I grill my chops with just SPOG to Medium Rare.
Basically just highlighting the lamb flavor.

Then dressed with a Pesto of mint, parsley, rosemary, basil, garlic, lemon zest, and EVOO.
Heavy on the mint 8)

The rosemary part is great on the lamb!

TIM

Dry mint will work. Not quite as strong as fresh, but it will work. Once you get some mint growing, it can be very invasive. Best way to grow it is in a pot so you can contain it. It puts put tons of runners. We dry lots of basil and mint for the winter months. Also make a puree of each and freeze it in cube trays. It maintains a stronger flavor when frozen vs. dried.

I can't get rid of the stuff in my backyard!! I wanted some for cooking and iced tea and it has spread all over! If we were closer I'd gladly give you a few hundred plants :-D

If you can find fresh mint, the sprigs that you don't use for that batch of cooking should be really easy to propagate from cuttings. Just grab a three or four inch piece, strip off the leaves on the bottom third, dip that end in rooting hormone if you have some (just ask at Home depot garden center or similar place), stick that end into some decent potting soil in a good sized flower pot, water it every day for a couple of weeks. Should have some good started plants this way. Mint likes it rather wet, so a big pot with a saucer underneath helps. I also grow basil, tarragon, cuban oregano and other herbs this way, it is significantly more economical than buying started herbs.

I use dried frequently. I have some growing in the yard but I don't bother storing it or anything for winter, a jar of dried mint is dirt cheap. I use extra. About 1-1/2 times as much, maybe more. I've even used it in some salads for flavor too (lightly), believe it or not. It won't work as a "green" in that usage of course, but it adds that flavor if you are lookng for it.

Supermarkets in Florida don't have dried mint leaves in the spice section? You can order dried spearmint from Penzeys or World Spice or you can do what my dad did and buy store-made mint sauce and just drizzle it over your lamb.

If you like lamb, try Meatheads lamb chops in sheep dip. It's an amazing dish.

you want some plants to plant in the yard? I can fedex u some live plants and runners and in a year you will have more than you want.

You can rehydrate dried mint in a little white Vinegar.
Not sure if that helps at all?

It took me 4 years to get the mint out of my vege bed and I didn't plant it. Incredibly invasive. Put in a pot away from everything. It loves water and will grow like a well, weed?? Sorry, I have never used dried mint out here. Everywhere...

you want some plants to plant in the yard? I can fedex u some live plants and runners and in a year you will have more than you want.

Thanks for the offer Phil and Thanks to all for the info.

Mrs Kapn and I have decided that we really don't use enough to mess with, so I just ordered some dried from Amazon and will use that for the foreseeable future.

Thanks All

TIM

Back