a45e4ae5.jpg

Fantastic meals fellas! :becky:

OK, well, I used the leftover meat from the chicken I cut up on Sunday. The parts I cooked up were 2 breasts, 2 wings, 2 things and 2 drumsticks. The other bits were used for stock. So I guess that is 2+2+2+2=8 pieces of chicken.

Cool, that's an even number. I should be safe.

Man, I don't know what's wrong with me. All this numbers talk is making me feel a bit ODD. :shock:

Saucy Dungeness Crab and Tiger Prawn Cakes

I've been wanting to do something with all the Dungeness crab I had left over from the holidays. It went on sale for $2.99 per pound :shock: and so we bought ten crabs, cleaned and shelled them, then vacu-sucked the meat and froze it for later. I also had some 13-15 count Tiger prawns waiting for a good reason to eat.

I haven't had GOOD crab cakes for a while, so I figured I'd give them a shot at home. I searched the internet(s) :heh: until I finally found a recipe I thought sounded like something the family would like. It turned out to be a bonus that it included prawns too. :becky:

With that being said, I present to you Al's Sun-Dried Tomato Remoulade (Saucy) Dungeness Crab and Tiger Prawn Cakes.

The players for the binding sauce.
edit_preview.php

The players for the Sun-Dried Tomato Remoulade.
edit_preview.php

The two supporting cast members for the sauce.
edit_preview.php

1.5 lbs
edit_preview.php

.75 lbs
edit_preview.php

Binding sauce ingredients before going for a ride in the food processor.
edit_preview.php

One minute later.
edit_preview.php

I divided the mixture above in half, then added 1/4 cup of cocktail sauce, 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatos, hot sauce, Old Bay and a good dose of crab boil. Processed the mixture for about a minute and here's the sauce, :doh: I mean remoulade.
edit_preview.php

I put the finished sauce/remoulade in the fridge and got to work on the crab/shrimp cakes. I didn't get a shot of it, but I pretty much chopped up the shrimp into a puree, and combined it with the shelled crab. I took that combo and folded it into the left over binding sauce and added 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs. From there I formed it into eight patties.
edit_preview.php

The red, yellow and green flecks you see in the patties are very small chunks of sweet pepper I diced and added for a little more flavor, crunch and color.
edit_preview.php

Once the patties set up for a while in the fridge, I dredged them in flour and eggs and coated them with panko bread crumbs.
edit_preview.php

Browned them for a couple minutes per side in EVOO.
edit_preview.php

Crispy brown on the outside.
edit_preview.php

Fired up the Traeger.
edit_preview.php

Once I got it stoked up to about 400, on they went. After about ten minutes they were pretty much done. The Thermopen read about 180 and they were sizzling nicely. :becky:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Plated and ready to go with a light green salad and basic vinaigrette.
edit_preview.php

As you can see, I didn't soak the crab/shrimp cake in the remoulade (sauce :heh:), but did end up using quite a bit of it after I took this (money) shot.
edit_preview.php

This was easily the one of BEST crab cakes I have ever had, and my wife and daughter felt the same. In fact my daughter was a little bent that I only cooked four of the eight cakes I prepared. :tsk: There was a whole lot more crab/shrimp than bread crumb and the flavors really stood out. The sauce had a very subtle sweetness from the sun-dried tomato, plus it had a nice kick from the cocktail and hot sauce. The good news is we have four more to eat tomorrow. :clap2:

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Awesome post Al. I would eat that all day. :-D How did the neighbors handle the smoke? :becky:

"Edited to add another pic of the sauce. Please use this version for the vote thread."

I've been wanting to do something with all the Dungeness crab I had left over from the holidays. It went on sale for $2.99 per pound :shock: and so we bought ten crabs, cleaned and shelled them, then vacu-sucked the meat and froze it for later. I also had some 13-15 count Tiger prawns waiting for a good reason to eat.

I haven't had GOOD crab cakes for a while, so I figured I'd give them a shot at home. I searched the internet(s) :heh: until I finally found a recipe I thought sounded like something the family would like. It turned out to be a bonus that it included prawns too. :becky:

With that being said, I present to you Al's Sun-Dried Tomato Remoulade (Saucy) Dungeness Crab and Tiger Prawn Cakes.

The players for the binding sauce.
edit_preview.php

The players for the Sun-Dried Tomato Remoulade.
edit_preview.php

The two supporting cast members for the sauce.
edit_preview.php

1.5 lbs
edit_preview.php

.75 lbs
edit_preview.php

Binding sauce ingredients before going for a ride in the food processor.
edit_preview.php

One minute later.
edit_preview.php

I divided the mixture above in half, then added 1/4 cup of cocktail sauce, 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatos, hot sauce, Old Bay and a good dose of crab boil. Processed the mixture for about a minute and here's the sauce, :doh: I mean remoulade.
edit_preview.php

scaled.php

I put the finished sauce/remoulade in the fridge and got to work on the crab/shrimp cakes. I didn't get a shot of it, but I pretty much chopped up the shrimp into a puree, and combined it with the shelled crab. I took that combo and folded it into the left over binding sauce and added 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs. From there I formed it into eight patties.
edit_preview.php

The red, yellow and green flecks you see in the patties are very small chunks of sweet pepper I diced and added for a little more flavor, crunch and color.
edit_preview.php

Once the patties set up for a while in the fridge, I dredged them in flour and eggs and coated them with panko bread crumbs.
edit_preview.php

Browned them for a couple minutes per side in EVOO.
edit_preview.php

Crispy brown on the outside.
edit_preview.php

Fired up the Traeger.
edit_preview.php

Once I got it stoked up to about 400, on they went. After about ten minutes they were pretty much done. The Thermopen read about 180 and they were sizzling nicely. :becky:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Plated and ready to go with a light green salad and basic vinaigrette.
edit_preview.php

As you can see, I didn't soak the crab/shrimp cake in the remoulade (sauce :heh:), but did end up using quite a bit of it after I took this (money) shot.
edit_preview.php

This was easily the one of BEST crab cakes I have ever had, and my wife and daughter felt the same. In fact my daughter was a little bent that I only cooked four of the eight cakes I prepared. :tsk: There was a whole lot more crab/shrimp than bread crumb and the flavors really stood out. The sauce had a very subtle sweetness from the sun-dried tomato, plus it had a nice kick from the cocktail and hot sauce. The good news is we have four more to eat tomorrow. :clap2:

Thanks for looking!

Great looking cakes and love that frosting. For some reason, your duplicate entry is not showing up for me though.

Great looking cakes and love that frosting. For some reason, your duplicate entry is not showing up for me though.

I ended up killing the second one last night after I posted it and replacing it with "duplicate entry"... Still no clue how I posted it twice in the first time. :tsk:

So, you entered the same thing three times? :crazy: You are just going to split votes between the Crab Burgers, Crab Patties, and Crab Fritters. That just opens the door for Gore to win with some saucy, zombie concoction :doh:

So, you entered the same thing three times? :crazy: You are just going to split votes between the Crab Burgers, Crab Patties, and Crab Fritters. That just opens the door for Gore to win with some saucy, zombie concoction :doh:

I'm thinking that Al submitted the first one. Mongo, the second, but thought better of it and withdrew it. Scott may have submitted the third one, at least I don't think it was General Tso. I'm going to hold out and see what Koko the Gorilla submits. I expect that'll show up by this evening some time.

I'm working on my "Like a Brisket" entry, and wanted to make sure I remained grounded in brisket, and have a good looking brisket appetizer. I had a single serving of left over point, vac sac'ed in the freezer. Perfect, burnt ends!

Thawed last night. Out of the fridge, still a little cold and not taking on rub. That is okay, there will be plenty of time to add more rub.
P1000601.JPG

Thrown on the UDS humming along at 250* with some oak wood. Ignore the other hunk of meat, that is to be revealed later today.
P1000605.JPG

This was my first time making burnt ends. :shock: I followed Biggie's instructions. Rub, 1 hour, More Rub, 1 Hour, Sauced w/ Big Butz Cranberry and then another hour.
Sauced up and looking saucy. Hot dang, there is a "saucy" throwdown going on.
P1000607.JPG

Very tasty. Very rich. Overwhelming rub and rich sauce. Thanks for looking.

Back