I noticed that too... :confused:

Hey Gore! Have you and Ninja been dorking around with the Space/Time Transgombobulator again? :tsk:

We were trying to get Moose's pizza and something went wrong. Ninja's working on it .... Oh Fark! Ninja's working on it! :shock:

a45e4ae5.jpg

Fantastic meals fellas! :becky:

OK, well, I used the leftover meat from the chicken I cut up on Sunday. The parts I cooked up were 2 breasts, 2 wings, 2 things and 2 drumsticks. The other bits were used for stock. So I guess that is 2+2+2+2=8 pieces of chicken.

Cool, that's an even number. I should be safe.

Man, I don't know what's wrong with me. All this numbers talk is making me feel a bit ODD. :shock:

Saucy Dungeness Crab and Tiger Prawn Cakes

I've been wanting to do something with all the Dungeness crab I had left over from the holidays. It went on sale for $2.99 per pound :shock: and so we bought ten crabs, cleaned and shelled them, then vacu-sucked the meat and froze it for later. I also had some 13-15 count Tiger prawns waiting for a good reason to eat.

I haven't had GOOD crab cakes for a while, so I figured I'd give them a shot at home. I searched the internet(s) :heh: until I finally found a recipe I thought sounded like something the family would like. It turned out to be a bonus that it included prawns too. :becky:

With that being said, I present to you Al's Sun-Dried Tomato Remoulade (Saucy) Dungeness Crab and Tiger Prawn Cakes.

The players for the binding sauce.
edit_preview.php

The players for the Sun-Dried Tomato Remoulade.
edit_preview.php

The two supporting cast members for the sauce.
edit_preview.php

1.5 lbs
edit_preview.php

.75 lbs
edit_preview.php

Binding sauce ingredients before going for a ride in the food processor.
edit_preview.php

One minute later.
edit_preview.php

I divided the mixture above in half, then added 1/4 cup of cocktail sauce, 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatos, hot sauce, Old Bay and a good dose of crab boil. Processed the mixture for about a minute and here's the sauce, :doh: I mean remoulade.
edit_preview.php

I put the finished sauce/remoulade in the fridge and got to work on the crab/shrimp cakes. I didn't get a shot of it, but I pretty much chopped up the shrimp into a puree, and combined it with the shelled crab. I took that combo and folded it into the left over binding sauce and added 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs. From there I formed it into eight patties.
edit_preview.php

The red, yellow and green flecks you see in the patties are very small chunks of sweet pepper I diced and added for a little more flavor, crunch and color.
edit_preview.php

Once the patties set up for a while in the fridge, I dredged them in flour and eggs and coated them with panko bread crumbs.
edit_preview.php

Browned them for a couple minutes per side in EVOO.
edit_preview.php

Crispy brown on the outside.
edit_preview.php

Fired up the Traeger.
edit_preview.php

Once I got it stoked up to about 400, on they went. After about ten minutes they were pretty much done. The Thermopen read about 180 and they were sizzling nicely. :becky:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Plated and ready to go with a light green salad and basic vinaigrette.
edit_preview.php

As you can see, I didn't soak the crab/shrimp cake in the remoulade (sauce :heh:), but did end up using quite a bit of it after I took this (money) shot.
edit_preview.php

This was easily the one of BEST crab cakes I have ever had, and my wife and daughter felt the same. In fact my daughter was a little bent that I only cooked four of the eight cakes I prepared. :tsk: There was a whole lot more crab/shrimp than bread crumb and the flavors really stood out. The sauce had a very subtle sweetness from the sun-dried tomato, plus it had a nice kick from the cocktail and hot sauce. The good news is we have four more to eat tomorrow. :clap2:

Thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Awesome post Al. I would eat that all day. :-D How did the neighbors handle the smoke? :becky:

"Edited to add another pic of the sauce. Please use this version for the vote thread."

I've been wanting to do something with all the Dungeness crab I had left over from the holidays. It went on sale for $2.99 per pound :shock: and so we bought ten crabs, cleaned and shelled them, then vacu-sucked the meat and froze it for later. I also had some 13-15 count Tiger prawns waiting for a good reason to eat.

I haven't had GOOD crab cakes for a while, so I figured I'd give them a shot at home. I searched the internet(s) :heh: until I finally found a recipe I thought sounded like something the family would like. It turned out to be a bonus that it included prawns too. :becky:

With that being said, I present to you Al's Sun-Dried Tomato Remoulade (Saucy) Dungeness Crab and Tiger Prawn Cakes.

The players for the binding sauce.
edit_preview.php

The players for the Sun-Dried Tomato Remoulade.
edit_preview.php

The two supporting cast members for the sauce.
edit_preview.php

1.5 lbs
edit_preview.php

.75 lbs
edit_preview.php

Binding sauce ingredients before going for a ride in the food processor.
edit_preview.php

One minute later.
edit_preview.php

I divided the mixture above in half, then added 1/4 cup of cocktail sauce, 1/4 cup of sun-dried tomatos, hot sauce, Old Bay and a good dose of crab boil. Processed the mixture for about a minute and here's the sauce, :doh: I mean remoulade.
edit_preview.php

scaled.php

I put the finished sauce/remoulade in the fridge and got to work on the crab/shrimp cakes. I didn't get a shot of it, but I pretty much chopped up the shrimp into a puree, and combined it with the shelled crab. I took that combo and folded it into the left over binding sauce and added 3/4 cup of panko bread crumbs. From there I formed it into eight patties.
edit_preview.php

The red, yellow and green flecks you see in the patties are very small chunks of sweet pepper I diced and added for a little more flavor, crunch and color.
edit_preview.php

Once the patties set up for a while in the fridge, I dredged them in flour and eggs and coated them with panko bread crumbs.
edit_preview.php

Browned them for a couple minutes per side in EVOO.
edit_preview.php

Crispy brown on the outside.
edit_preview.php

Fired up the Traeger.
edit_preview.php

Once I got it stoked up to about 400, on they went. After about ten minutes they were pretty much done. The Thermopen read about 180 and they were sizzling nicely. :becky:
edit_preview.php

edit_preview.php

Plated and ready to go with a light green salad and basic vinaigrette.
edit_preview.php

As you can see, I didn't soak the crab/shrimp cake in the remoulade (sauce :heh:), but did end up using quite a bit of it after I took this (money) shot.
edit_preview.php

This was easily the one of BEST crab cakes I have ever had, and my wife and daughter felt the same. In fact my daughter was a little bent that I only cooked four of the eight cakes I prepared. :tsk: There was a whole lot more crab/shrimp than bread crumb and the flavors really stood out. The sauce had a very subtle sweetness from the sun-dried tomato, plus it had a nice kick from the cocktail and hot sauce. The good news is we have four more to eat tomorrow. :clap2:

Thanks for looking!

Great looking cakes and love that frosting. For some reason, your duplicate entry is not showing up for me though.

I ended up killing the second one last night after I posted it and replacing it with "duplicate entry"... Still no clue how I posted it twice in the first time. :tsk:

So, you entered the same thing three times? :crazy: You are just going to split votes between the Crab Burgers, Crab Patties, and Crab Fritters. That just opens the door for Gore to win with some saucy, zombie concoction :doh:

So, you entered the same thing three times? :crazy: You are just going to split votes between the Crab Burgers, Crab Patties, and Crab Fritters. That just opens the door for Gore to win with some saucy, zombie concoction :doh:

I'm thinking that Al submitted the first one. Mongo, the second, but thought better of it and withdrew it. Scott may have submitted the third one, at least I don't think it was General Tso. I'm going to hold out and see what Koko the Gorilla submits. I expect that'll show up by this evening some time.

I'm working on my "Like a Brisket" entry, and wanted to make sure I remained grounded in brisket, and have a good looking brisket appetizer. I had a single serving of left over point, vac sac'ed in the freezer. Perfect, burnt ends!

Thawed last night. Out of the fridge, still a little cold and not taking on rub. That is okay, there will be plenty of time to add more rub.
P1000601.JPG

Thrown on the UDS humming along at 250* with some oak wood. Ignore the other hunk of meat, that is to be revealed later today.
P1000605.JPG

This was my first time making burnt ends. :shock: I followed Biggie's instructions. Rub, 1 hour, More Rub, 1 Hour, Sauced w/ Big Butz Cranberry and then another hour.
Sauced up and looking saucy. Hot dang, there is a "saucy" throwdown going on.
P1000607.JPG

Very tasty. Very rich. Overwhelming rub and rich sauce. Thanks for looking.

Back