competition & commercial smokers

blues_n_cues

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
not sure where to ask this but i'm looking @ various models by spicewine,backwoods,etc. can i get a heads up on opinions,etc. weight is my primary concern as it needs to go inside of my concession trailer. 350 lbs would be pushing it.

not sure where to ask this but i'm looking @ various models by spicewine,backwoods,etc. can i get a heads up on opinions,etc. weight is my primary concern as it needs to go inside of my concession trailer. 350 lbs would be pushing it.

The smallest spicewine is about 500lbs if I'm not correct.

Heck of a cooker from all acounts and reports. I think you will have trouble finding a large enough cooker under your weight limit.

yeah. i was looking @ the mid sized spicewine(600lbs) but thats a bit heavy for the end of the trailer.backwoods has the same capacity @ around 200lbs i think.

Backwoods and Stumps are both lighter than a Spicewine. Both are good cookers. I don't think that you could go wrong with either one.

Good Hunting!!

Spice

Hows about a Caldera? They are really lightweight.... Tallboy's under 100 lbs....

Never tried them, but they look cool. I've seen some at comps using them. They break down if you need more space too...

Just a thought, no testimonial here.

Seen a caldera at CRockes house. Looked kinda cheesy for the long haul. Seemed to cook ok though.

The backwoods and stumps are class act cookers, but if I had the money for a spicewine I think I'd figure out a way to at least let it be in consideration. Bigger trailer, bigger truck something... Its a beast of a cooker that will last a long long time.

FEC-100 (416 lbs)

Have fun with that one, boys!!! <ducking and running>

I never used a Stumps or Backwoods cooker so I can't comment on them.

But I can tell you that I love my Spicewine and wouldn't trade it for anything.

Backwoods Competitor is listed at 350 lbs. I can't imagine you'd want to go smaller to the Fatboy just to save 75 lbs.

Backwoods competitior

3042 sq inches cooking space

8 shelves 19.5 X 19.5 (3 inches apart - not enough space for brisket or pork butt)

350 lbs

$2795

Spicewine medium

1700 sq inches cooking space

4 (including the brethren shelf if still available) shelves 17 X 25 (deep enough for full pans)

600 lbs.

$2000

Both have pros and cons. Just gotta figure out what is important to you.

BBQ OVENS!!!! Bah Humbug!

My team mate wants one now for the cook team, I would love one for the catering business, but I'll always cling to my stickburner!!!
i'd love to own a klose or another stickburner buti can't piggyback. yes it's hard not to go wood purist but i'm vending too & as long as it turns out good Q-even if i have to just basically finish in an oven or mass produce....(no way that statement will come out right to please anyone/everyone) but as any vendor or competitor knows nowdays.... yer not just cooking... yer paying & gas prices w/ a 600lb intrailer cooker on top of trailer weight & supplies, entries, gas, etc.etc..... and still 2 people serving 1000-3000 plates a day plus a new baby... thats labor bro's......my trailer is on my profile- but it's an older wc w/ single axle too.. oh yeah & health codes locally for cooking mobile- no trailer pit is happening....

Last edited:
p.s. the competitor is about the best bet- weight,longivety, & labor....electric/convection cookers are out.... no smoke ring & the color is not great for comps...

Last edited:
sorry- i get sidetracked sometimes... but other than the team for comps & memphis in may- the bnc bbq team consists of me,myself,& i... maybe 1 daughter & wife on the serving line on occassion(my smoke or whiz breaks)- but i plan on it being all me all the time 18hr days.....i grew up commercial fishing in the gulf of mexico- i know work....oops- too much rum.... & tmi.

electric/convection cookers are out.... no smoke ring & the color is not great for comps...

I respectfully disagree in regards to pellet cookers. I can get a 1/4, dark ring on my briskets. Way too many awards won by pellet cookers to say that they are not great for comps. Not the only cooker that will win, of course.

I have a caldera tall boy and I am very pleased with its preformance. It is lighter and moves in and out of the trailer very easily. I think if weight and maneuverability are an issue, I would give it a look see.

I respectfully disagree in regards to pellet cookers. I can get a 1/4, dark ring on my briskets. Way too many awards won by pellet cookers to say that they are not great for comps. Not the only cooker that will win, of course.

Todd beat me to that. Check out team "Pellet Envy"

They got that name for a reason. Way to many folks winning with Pellet cookers. I like the FECs over the Tragers.

I was very anti FEC until our last comp and the nice folks next to us let me check out theirs, and the food it turned out. They schooled me a bit on them, thats for sure. They got a couple of calls that comp as well.

Spicewine medium

1700 sq inches cooking space

4 (including the brethren shelf if still available) shelves 17 X 25 (deep enough for full pans)

600 lbs.

$2000

Both have pros and cons. Just gotta figure out what is important to you.

This bolded part is interesting and I am sure lost in the specs some times. The medium racks are exactly the same size as a full sheet. I'll leave it to you all as to why this is so nice.

Back