SmACk TaWK A PK360 walks into an SCA Cookoff...

Ron_L

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
and walks away with 2nd place out of 36 teams!

Steak_Trophy.jpg

AE25_DDC5-_E916-4312-86_A9-_EFD58102_A946.jpg

C3272_D27-_EE64-4_E21-8_C25-1929_A519_FE44.jpg

Now that's what I'm talking about! All you competitors: I'm looking forward to seeing pics, results, observations, whatever from your comps!

Congrats Ron! I’ve got my first SCA comp next week in Shreveport LA. Had a couple of questions without giving away any trade secrets!

- For appearance did you aggressively trim? Take off the tail, etc?
- Flavor, SPOG type savory seasonings or some k8nd of marinade? I personally want my steak to taste like steak.
- Anything you would do differently next time, and any equipment you wish you brought?

I’m working on my equipment list, makes me feel like I’m in catering again.

Thanks! David

broke 50 in taste. and the only one to do it.

congrats.

Yeah, I was very happy about that. I was a little upset at the doneness score, but I don’t know if they though it was under or over. The other steak looked right on to me.

My responses below...

Congrats Ron! I’ve got my first SCA comp next week in Shreveport LA. Had a couple of questions without giving away any trade secrets!

- For appearance did you aggressively trim? Take off the tail, etc?
>Fairly. Tail off, silver skin on the spinalis cleaned up.
- Flavor, SPOG type savory seasonings or some k8nd of marinade? I personally want my steak to taste like steak.
>All of the above :). Marinade for a couple of hours, dry and hit with SPOG, let sit for 30, hit with a BBQ rub (slight sweet, some heat) sit 10 and cook.
- Anything you would do differently next time, and any equipment you wish you brought?
>Nail the doneness :-D. My first practice I pulled at 130 and rested for 10 and a friend who is an SCA judge said it was under, so second practice I pulled at 133 and rested for 10 and he said it was still slightly under, so this one I pulled at 134. I thought the second steak was right on, but I wish I knew what the judges thought.

I’m working on my equipment list, makes me feel like I’m in catering again.

Thanks! David

I do not understand food comp scoring. I would think that taste should be weighted above all else. If it tastes like a turd I don't care how wonderful it looks or how tender it may or not be.

Taste, how does that not trump all else? If you have the best taste score, I say you win.

Feel free to simply call me ignorant, my wife does it daily.

Usually taste is weighted higher (I don't know how SCA does things, though), but the other categories do (and should) matter. What good is the best tasting steak if it's tough as a boot?

I do not understand food comp scoring. I would think that taste should be weighted above all else. If it tastes like a turd I don't care how wonderful it looks or how tender it may or not be.

Taste, how does that not trump all else? If you have the best taste score, I say you win.

Feel free to simply call me ignorant, my wife does it daily.

Usually taste is weighted higher (I don't know how SCA does things, though), but the other categories do (and should) matter. What good is the best tasting steak if it's tough as a boot?

In KCBS scoring, and I believe some of the other BBQ sanctioning bodies, Tasted is weighted the highest. SCA, for whatever reason, chose to do no weighting. I wasn't consulted :-D

Well in that case your steak becomes a multitasker, serving both as nourishment and footwear!

Back