My new bundle of joy!

Dang Melissa. Congrats on the new smoker, you're off to a great start!

If you had gotten it a few weeks earlier, and entered the beef rib TD with this pic, I think you probably would have won by a landslide:

image_zpsfmxbfmmq.jpg

Now that Fall is upon us I'd be glad to send you some. Seriously. Even with shipping prices it may be cheaper than going through a meat mail order.
Sumthin to think about. Lol
That is an offer I may not be able to refuse. I'm going to talk to my butcher and see what he can do, first. If they're too outrageous, I'm game and very appreciative to do that setup. I realize prices vary with regions, but what's an average price when it comes to beef ribs?

In all honesty it's super forgiving.
Yesterday I did the line up and burn in along with the biscuit test. Was a little concerned with the temp differential.
Today with the meat on the temperature difference was only 30 degrees from the exhaust to the firebox locations.
And it seemed to like to run around the 280 mark. It would level out around 290 near the fire and 260 on the far end.
Even Steven
I'm doing a turkey on Saturday as a mock Thanksgivig with friends.
I'll live cook it and see how it goes.
Anyone ever do a turkey on an offset?...before I search for it lol

I did a huge turkey breast on my yoder a few weeks back. Brine, Pepper based rub, 5 hours (ish) around 270, an hour in a butter bath (heavy duty foil), let rest for about 30 minutes and it was amazing.

I used peach wood for what it's worth but I reckon would have fine. Nothing strong flavored.

Looks like you got the hang of it - awesome ribs!!
I will be watching for the turkey cook.
Thanks for sharing!!

In all honesty it's super forgiving.
Yesterday I did the line up and burn in along with the biscuit test. Was a little concerned with the temp differential.
Today with the meat on the temperature difference was only 30 degrees from the exhaust to the firebox locations.
And it seemed to like to run around the 280 mark. It would level out around 290 near the fire and 260 on the far end.
Even Steven
I'm doing a turkey on Saturday as a mock Thanksgivig with friends.
I'll live cook it and see how it goes.
Anyone ever do a turkey on an offset?...before I search for it lol[
/QUOTE]
It's a wood fired oven. With smoke. Don't over think it. My first turkey on a kettle was prepared the same as it would have been if i was cooking it indoors. It was much better.

That is an offer I may not be able to refuse. I'm going to talk to my butcher and see what he can do, first. If they're too outrageous, I'm game and very appreciative to do that setup. I realize prices vary with regions, but what's an average price when it comes to beef ribs?

Around 8-9 bucks a pound from a high quality old school butcher.
Plate ribs (short ribs) come 3 bones and very thick. I asked for a small rack and this is what I got lol. This cost me $35 and was 4 pounds.

86 turkey...pork substitute.

I didn't set my turkey out in time so it didn't defrost :mad:
Back up plan is a picnic butt on sale for 99¢ a pound!
Up at 5:30 to start the fire and rub done my butt.
Using cherry apple and pecan chunks. They just seem to work better than splits.
Meat went on at 6:50 and I'm figuring dinner around 5. (It's just under 8 pounds.) It's not the thanksgiving dinner I wanted but hey, there's always next weekend!

Need a little something extra this morning...

Almost 3 hours in...

I'm still playing around with where to place the fire in the box. I've tried on the side with new wood off to the side. That seemed to catch it too fast and burn up quick. On this cook I'm trying a front to back method where new wood is placed closest to the door and once it starts to burn down I shimmy it towards the cooking chamber and place new near the door again. For me this is producing a smoother transition of heat and is slowing the burn up rate noticeably.
I don't know if that all makes sense or not. :crazy:

When you do the turkey, rub the skin with sesame oil. It goes well with smoke and turkey.

Melissa, is this the Cheyenne or the whichita?

Back