• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Thoghts and suggestions on my first brisket

P

pdxRandy

Tomorrow I am going to cook this small brisket. I think it is called a flat cut. Is that correct? This little cut of meat is 3.75# and about 1 1/2" thick on the deep end and just less than 1" thick on the other.

I am cooking this in my new 22"WSM.

Anyone care to suggest how would be the best way to do this, and how long it might take. Would really like it to be cooked a rested when the company shows up.

I am open to all suggestions and thoughts. I am going to inject it this evening with apple juice. The pour on some olive oil and spices, let it set all night in the fridge and cook tomorrow.

BTW...........my wife gets a chuckle out of my rank here "Got Wood"

This was all I could find in WinCo and not the big honker that most of you folks type about.

Thanks in advance.:-D

Attachments

• Brisket small 001.jpg
    Brisket small 001.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 236
  • Brisket small 002.jpg
    Brisket small 002.jpg
    37 KB · Views: 232
I have cooked one of those earlier this year. It was all I could find. I did a dry rub, no injection, oil or mustard. I put it on my kettle at 250F and let the heat climb over the first hour to 290F. From there it was done in 4 more hours. The only issue I had was I oversalted the rub, I misread the recipe for the Dirty Dalmation rub.

pdx, that size brisket is really a tough call brother. Really too small for low and slow. OBTW, glad your wifey finds humer in your hobby. I don't know what to advise you to do as this size brisket almost needs to be foiled early and braised more than smoked. Trying to smoke it would dry it out big time. Hope someone else chimes in here with some good advise.

The problem that I think you will have with the flat is there is not enough fat to keep the meat moist for a low and slow cook. I think the best bet may be to smoke it low and slow for the first 1 1/2 hours and then coat and foil until it is ready. But I am a total neophyte when it comes to smoking in anything other than the BGE so I am not sure how other smokers hold moisture. You may want to limit the smoking to an hour if you are worries about it drying out too much.

I've done a couple of these. First time I coated with mustard and dry rub and put two pieces of thick cut bacon across the top and let it sit over night in the fridge. Smoked the next day at about 250 the entire time in an open aluminum pan. Came out pretty good. Second time I did the same thing but without the aluminum pan. Ran the internal temp to about 150 and then wrapped for the rest of the cook (five hours total?). I think the second one was better.

TC

What ever you decide to do, be sure to get some pictures and let us know how it turned out.

Thanks,

Papa

Looks like part of the fat cap has already been removed! My only words of advice is to inject it to keep it moist. Good luck and be sure to post pron....good or bad!

Well today is tomorrow and tomorrow is still the next day ?

My plan is this. First off the company has colds so they stayed home, does not break my heart I don't want there cold, fair? Second the load is this baby brisket, a pot roast the was on the cheap at WinCo and three fatties. Two of the fatties are stuffed with pepper jack cheese and one is just good ol' plain Jimmy D's.

I put them on a 3:30pm which is the first picture. At 5ish I am going to foil the brisket and the pot roast. Add mop and cook till done.

If you will notice after the fatties have cooked for awhile I like to but them in a foil cup so to speak to save the grease. Sheesh I can't see wastin' good hog fat............! What I do is then pour the grease off into a cup and save it. I am at the point where if I am going to fire the WSM might as well fill the ol'girl up. Why waste cookin' space :-D

BTW.........if this deal fails the the beef will become chili. Lots of chili but that is better than dog food, IMHO.

Attachments

• Brisket small on the WSM 003.jpg
    Brisket small on the WSM 003.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Brisket small on the WSM 007.jpg
    Brisket small on the WSM 007.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 92
Looking good, I like my fatties a little drier, what do you do with the grease?

The brisket could have cooked longer. The flavor is nice and will work great in a big ol'pot of chili. This was a good lesson. The end product is very flavorful and will be enjoyed, so no harm no foul. The next brisket will have to be a packer. First thing would be to go buy a new roll of vacume seal plastic. That much meat will last us a long time, which is one of the reasons I bought the baby brisket. The pot roast was cooked "like the brisket" turned out kind of like a smoked pot roast. I smoked it for two hours and the foiled it with a hoppy beer mop and cooked it for another four hours. That part could have been done anywhere that was 225-250 temp.

The fatties grease was going to go into a little cup. After thinking about it it dumped it into the one plain fatty that will be used for sausage and garvy over my biskets. That was the reason to save it in the first place to richen up the gravy. Two of the fatties I laid open like a hogie roll and filled them with petter jack cheeese. I am glad that fatties are so easy to cook, fine idea who ever came up with that deal. These two are slicing sausage to go with pancakes or french toast, or eggs and taters.

Attachments

• Fattie and baby brisket 001.jpg
    Fattie and baby brisket 001.jpg
    37.1 KB · Views: 70
  • Fattie and baby brisket 005.jpg
    Fattie and baby brisket 005.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 70
Well, it looks delicious and good that it tastes good. That smoked fattie gravy has got to be good.

I need to share something here. I am having fun! I don't know how to cook these cuts of meat in the house on the electric stove so learning who to do it in a box with a fire inside on the bottom is a bit challenging. So much of it is "by feel" not so much by the book. Like pan frying a steak in olive oil and garlic. Learning when that steak is cooked by pushing on it with your fingers. So much of this is a little splash of this and a glug from that jug and twist of something else. When I made my mop, I looked at what others are using, added some of the basic things that were common and then tossed in what I thought sounded good. That is where the fun come in.

My next project is to take this very flavorfull beef and make a big ol'pot of chili. I can't remember ever making chili so I will do the same thang, check to see what everyone is doing in the chili that looks good to me, get the basic items then add what I think will taset good.

Thank you all for you kind words. Something else. Posting here, and the information I received, then posting the photos from the cook, the finished product and comments and plesant word has been very nice, and "FUN". Thanks folks!

Back