• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Wheelchair Friendly Grill/Smoker Mods - Initial Thoughts

I like the pellet pooper idea but wouldn't any pellet pooper work fine?

You still have to solve the problem of accessing the meat. Something like the pellet mod for a WSM would be terrible.

It sounds like a custom build--you'd want a cabinet-style smoker with French doors that cooks with pellets and has slide-out racks. Then it's just a matter of getting the height right.

There is more to it than just adding a pellet burner or door shocks.

When you are in a chair, you are largely limited to reach, hence the issue with sinks (and the current ADA standards leave a lot to be desired) for instance, many disabled don't like the long reach over, as their sleeves get wet, now, instead of water, make that fire, and you can see, that the location and how the fire is arranged, as well as box depth is an issue.

Further, cleaning the unit is going to be an issue. Sure, you can always ask for help, but, true independence means being able to access all of the controls. Always the details...again, for instance, you could just put a small Backwoods onto a wheelchair friendly rack, but, when it comes time to add charcoal, or tend the fire, you are pulling that drawer out onto your lap, not exactly safe. When you are reaching up to tend food, you are reaching over hot coals, also a risk.

This is a fascinating thread, and I'm blown away at the effort you guys are making to figure this out. Man, there are some good people here at this site. My 11 year-old son is in a wheelchair. Unfortunately, he has no use of his arms; but I am delighted by the thought of creating a smoker for those confined to wheelchairs. Smoking meat as a hobby has allowed me many hours of fun to spend with my son - it's why I got into it, to be honest. So, it's cool to me to think of the joy it will bring other handicapped people to be able to join in the fun of smoking! Bravo to all of you fine people!

That said, I have no brilliant thoughts to add to your design. You can bet I'll be putting my mind to it though. Interested to see how this planning unfolds!

I just was made aware of this thread. Interesting. Thanks for starting it Dave. I appreciate all the work you did in researching this, Dave. I am really sorry I missed all the discussion back then.

I have really been going crazy not being able to cook anymore. Recently I was reading something from Smokinit and asked if they could design something custom for wheelchair confined people, like myself.

We agreed that the pellet smoker would be a good idea, especially with an optional smoke box and cart.

He just tonight got back to me tonight and seems they have a perfect smoker...except, even with a Brethren discount, it's out of my league. I don't think he's open to trading for a kidney. Ha. I predict he'll have some clientele though. I feel like an arse, though taking up his time.

You know Dan, somewhere, there is a guy who left home to do something he felt important, and he came back missing a leg, or two. And maybe he would want a cooker that he could use from a chair. Fact is, there are a lot of folks that, for one reason, or another, could use a cooker that is designed for the physically impaired. I hope Smokinit keeps rolling with the idea, and perhaps others who find themselves in a position to buy one can keep on cooking.

And if that happens, it was no waste of time.

I just was made aware of this thread. Interesting. Thanks for starting it Dave. I appreciate all the work you did in researching this, Dave. I am really sorry I missed all the discussion back then.

I have really been going crazy not being able to cook anymore. Recently I was reading something from Smokinit and asked if they could design something custom for wheelchair confined people, like myself.

We agreed that the pellet smoker would be a good idea, especially with an optional smoke box and cart.

He just tonight got back to me tonight and seems they have a perfect smoker...except, even with a Brethren discount, it's out of my league. I don't think he's open to trading for a kidney. Ha. I predict he'll have some clientele though. I feel like an arse, though taking up his time.
You have a wealth of knowledge, share it freely, have lots of practical insight, and an unique perspective. It would cost him a lot of money and time to garner what you have to offer for free. Suck it up and go forward. He may need a tester for any prototype.

One thing to keep in mind if you are designing for someone in a wheelchair is that some of us have little or no movement of, or at, the hips. For instance, in my case, I now cannot sit straight up - with a ninety degree bend. My back is always leaning back. If I sit at the edge of the bed, with my legs off hte bed, I will fall backwards. The chair I use has a recline in it and I cannot bend forward more than a fraction of an inch.

So, if you are testing your design by sitting in a chair, which I recommend, also test the operation without moving your back. I have full range of motion of my arms, thank God, but I could not bend/lean forward to grab a door or grate or to push something. Everything must be done with the movement of the arm.

Also some of us cannot bend our knees properly. In my case, one knee bends pretty well, where my foot touches the floor and my leg forms almost a ninety degree angle. However, my other knee does not bend as far. Some days my foot will still hit the floor, but still sticking out a bit, as my knee doesn't bend ninety degrees. Some days, that knee will cause the leg to stick out in front and my foot will not touch the ground.

So, having a cart, stand, tall legs, etc. for the smoker will be needed for some of us - and not a solid base, but like an open shelf where I could put my leg through if needed to get closer to the smoker.

Being in this position makes everything - every daily thing - so much more difficult...and many things are now impossible. A properly made smoker would open the world of outdoor cooking back up to me/us.

Another consideration - and it is a major one - is cost. Many, or most, of us cannot work and live on disability. I am thankful that my church had disability insurance, but now my family of four must survive off below poverty level income, as neither my wife nor I can work. It will take a looooong time to save money for an expensive, custom smoker. I don't manufacture anything personally, but the fact that these units will not be mass produced in large quantities leads me to believe that production cost - and therefore selling price - may be prohibitive for many, as I have found it is for us.

I pray that, if you decide to move forward with building these, you will be very successful. If I may be of service by answering questions or providing measurements, or whatever, please don't hesitate to ask. I may not benefit from your work, but I would love to be able to help someone else (re-)enter the world of Thin Blue Smoke :)

God's blessings!

One more thought - can ya tell I can't sleep tonight? Having shelves that pull out will make things easier, but it will be important to have stops on them, so they cannot accidentally be pulled all the way out.

Hmmm, i would think a horizontal offset might be best. Get the firebox off to the side instead of underneath. Would need some kind of pistons to assist with opening the pit, a design like the pitmaker offset snipers. A fully insulated cook chamber, especially the bottom. Think about taking an oldschool steel desk, build a cook chamber on top of it, and an insulated firebox to the side.

Hmmm, i would think a horizontal offset might be best. Get the firebox off to the side instead of underneath. Would need some kind of pistons to assist with opening the pit, a design like the pitmaker offset snipers. A fully insulated cook chamber, especially the bottom. Think about taking an oldschool steel desk, build a cook chamber on top of it, and an insulated firebox to the side.

In reading a little more of the thread, i think the steel desk idea is a good one. Also, pellets might be the best answer for fuel source. Normally the top of the hopper might be to high, but if you look at the design of the fec120 with it's fire pot outside of the cook chamber and low to the ground, you can use that concept to make the hopper lower.

I am envisioning a insulated box just sitting right on top of the desk, maybe 2 rows. maybe make it a side by side double door where they both open from the center out, with slam latches. Then each of the two rows can each be separated into 2 shelves, giving 4 independent shelves that can each pull out. I think someone out there also makes a aftermarket pellet system that you can integrate into this.

This is a very interesting topic and some great thoughts so far. I worked with disabled people for a year after I finished school and what I think should work is having the grill / smoker L- shaped so you can "drive in" that would allow bigger working surface without bending too far.
For the firebox I think an offset with an lid that opens to the side could work too.
That's my ideas so far.

Thanks for resurrecting the thread, I just been busy with other "projects".

As many pointed out, there are lots of good options if someone has the option of building from scratch or commissioning a custom build. So, I've been focusing my efforts on what it would take to retrofit existing multipurpose cookers like kettles & ceramics eggs. Some of the key design criteria seem to be lowering the stand so the cooking grate and charcoal racks are more easily accessible, improving the lid/hinge systems for easier operation and providing some sort of burn safety bumper to keep folks away from the hot stuff.

I appreciate the good thoughts and interest.

It broke my heart to turn down the unit from Humphreys.

Dave, WRT retrofitting an Egg or WSM, I wouldn't be able to use that well, as I can't load the charcoal or manage the fire from a seated position. Just FYI. I'm sure others that aren't as bad off as I am could, though.

I'm beginning to think God wants me to give up BBQing.

I don't know if they are still made, but some of the older Treager pellet cookers had a sliding door, similar to a miniature garage door the raised up and into the cooking chamber. With an extension of some kind, I think that mite work. Also Gorilla pellet grills have a door the slides sideways, with round shelves that can be rotated to access the meat.

For a vertical smoker maybe a door that operates like a side door on a mini van that pulls open a little then slides sideways, out of the way.

A setup that has rotating shelving like an Old Hickory could work for easy access to the food.
Dave

Mo-Dave, THOSE are the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

Just kidding. Actually, I love the idea of a sliding door. I actually asked a fabricator about that awhile back - not Humphrey's - and was told it would be too hard and/or too expensive. I still think it's a great idea.

FTR, smokinit (Kevin) offered me a great deal on a customized Humphrey's brand smoker. Even with the great deal he's offering, I'm still trying to figure out how to pay for it. I may be crazy for even thinking about it, but dang it, I miss being able to BBQ. To make it a better deal, he's offering to pick it up from the builder and try to get a Brethren train (tag team) down here.

I know I'm stupid for even considering it - even with a layaway - right? I'm being selfish, I know. I should stand down, right? Crud!

No, I'm not addicted to Q ;)

Mo-Dave, THOSE are the dumbest ideas I've ever heard.

Just kidding. Actually, I love the idea of a sliding door. I actually asked a fabricator about that awhile back - not Humphrey's - and was told it would be too hard and/or too expensive. I still think it's a great idea.

There for a moment, the way you started out, I thought I was down in News and Politics.:roll:
Dave

Back