Phubar´s American Delicacy Shop

Phubar

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
Today I went to the city center and walked passed a small American delicacy shop where I haven´t been in ages.
I used to buy Oreos there because that was the only place in Utrecht where you could buy them.
Now that I´m in the Q biz I thought about American sauces,so I went in to take a look.
Oh yeah,they had a modest selection of rubs and sauces.
These are some bad pics cause I feld a lil´ bit uncomfortable taking pics in a small store like that.:-D
It was forbidden to take pics but when I asked her that I allready took some.:twisted:
Pics,so it did happen!:-D

Attachments

• SP_A0845.jpg
    SP_A0845.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 307
  • SP_A0846.jpg
    SP_A0846.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 307
  • SP_A0848.jpg
    SP_A0848.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 316
I may get chastised for this but I really love Stubbs Beef marinade…that’s the only variety I care for, but it’s great when you have a larger piece of meat that might be on the tougher side.

Only goes to show how far behind we are on this island. We cant even get Skippy let alone products like Stubbs. !!

I do a bit of online shopping at American Soda.
www.americansoda.com

Interesting to see what "American" products they stock. Stubbs is a country western Q place in Austin that is quite popular but I have not tried any of their sauces.
Have been told "no photos" at a large market in Austin, TX. Cannot understand why. Took some at another large market in Charlotte, NC and had the manager and asst. mgr there in a minute asking why I was taking pics. Maybe they figure I was going to open my own market and copy their displays:confused:

It's interesting to see things that we use all the time here in America,
and; in other countries the foods are almost unknown...and Vice-versa.

Sometimes I go to an Oriental market and look at the countless bottles
of sauces that I wish I knew what to use them for and enjoy all the
wonderful flavors that Oriental people have enjoyed for a couple
thousand years.

You could probably go to your regular Grocery store and take pictures
of sauces and things that we here in the US don't know anything about.

Thanks for sharing.

It's interesting to see things that we use all the time here in America,
and; in other countries the foods are almost unknown...and Vice-versa.

Sometimes I go to an Oriental market and look at the countless bottles
of sauces that I wish I knew what to use them for and enjoy all the
wonderful flavors that Oriental people have enjoyed for a couple
thousand years.

You could probably go to your regular Grocery store and take pictures
of sauces and things that we here in the US don't know anything about.

Thanks for sharing.

I just heared from Noskos that there´s a Oriental franchise and that there´s one in Utrecht.
My Mom said a while ago that I should take a look there cause they have a wide variety of sauces.
Last week I was in an Oriental store and saw a big bottle of Todd´s Dirt,well...not really Todd´s Dirt but it looked like it.
Dried herbs and stuff.
Definitely gonna buy that one to test.
Just test some stuff out I would say,if I come across something I´ll take a picture of it and show it to you guys,that way you can check if they have it in an Oriental store near you.

I also like Stubbs sauces. I just recently got some "Cattlemans" brand sauces, Damn, they are tasty,..... I used to live in New England, and they don't have certain things here in Florida. But doing some searches on the internet, I was able to find a lot of NE stuff online. to buy and ship here.

Now that we´re on the subject,my buddy is in the States right now (I was supposed to be there with him) so I asked him if he could bring some rubs and sauces with him if he found any.
What can he find in "normal" supermarkets and which ones should he buy for me?

How about some Head Country products? They seem to sell well around this area.
Glad to see you have at least a small group to choose from Phubar. Do you make your own rubs and marinades?

Sweet Baby Rays Sauce is available in most markets here and is quite popular even with the Brethern, I think. Several varieties available. Bone Sucking Sauce is also well reviewed - might be a little harder to find.

Most major markets, at least here in Florida, do not have any or very few rubs. Lots of sauces and marinades though.

If he is going to be here for a while and has an address that could be shipped to, I would definitely recommend going on the internet and getting some of Plowboy's Yardbird, several Dizzy Pig rubs or their sampler, the real Todd's dirt - now in three varieties. All these people ship really fast or check out Great Lakes BBQ - he might be able to get some of the stuff they handle really quickly - they sort of specialize in really fast shipping:-D

Hope this helps a bit. One of the problems is that all the stuff has to be packed in checked luggage - tell him to get lotsa bubble wrap - clothing does not do well with bbq sauce:mrgreen:

How about some Head Country products? They seem to sell well around this area.
Glad to see you have at least a small group to choose from Phubar. Do you make your own rubs and marinades?

I'll look for Head Country products next time I'm there.
Yes I do make my own rubs and marinades,just harvested my pear tree and gonna make some jars of Sweet Heat Pear Pepper Jelly.
Never made that before,I'm somebody who loves to experiment and often gets away with something tasty.:grin:
I like homemade/homegrown stuff but if I don't use a homemade marinade/sauce I'm using something Oriental.
In Suriname we use a lot of Oriental herbs and spices in the kitchen cause there are a lot of Chinese,Indian,Indonesian people living there.

I'll look for Head Country products next time I'm there.
Yes I do make my own rubs and marinades,just harvested my pear tree and gonna make some jars of Sweet Heat Pear Pepper Jelly.
Never made that before,I'm somebody who loves to experiment and often gets away with something tasty.:grin:
I like homemade/homegrown stuff but if I don't use a homemade marinade/sauce I'm using something Oriental.
In Suriname we use a lot of Oriental herbs and spices in the kitchen cause there are a lot of Chinese,Indian,Indonesian people living there.

Yum!!
I bet you could sell some of your homemade products to that little grocery store! :-D

Back