Hot and fast ribs - is there such a thing?

I know the Rendezvous in Memphis does (I think BB's) in 60-90 minutes.

Yeah, I know they aren't the best ribs, but ribs are like sex and pizza, it's all different degrees of good.

I typically do BB ribs in my Kamado @ 275 degrees.

A few months back, I got distracted after I put them on and the the temp ran away from me and was up to over 350. Getting a Kamado to cool down quickly is pretty much impossible, so I just shut the vents down altogether. The Ribs were done in 1.5 hours! My biggest concern was fat not rendering completely, yet I couldn't tell the difference from how they turned out at that heat vs my usual 275. Would I intentionally attempt this again? Sure, if there were a time crunch I was dealing with...

My nephew cooked spare ribs in a La Caja China in about 2.5 hours and hey were tender. He raved about them. I didn't taste them, so I have to take his word for it.

I regularly turbo cook ribs on my BGE at 350 for about 2 hours. They turn out just as tender as a slower cook.

Here's what is regularly posted on the BGE site:
Mickey's Turbo Ribs
Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
350 indirect for 1hr 40 min.
Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub.
Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood.
If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

Here's what is regularly posted on the BGE site:
Mickey's Turbo Ribs
Baby Back Turbo Ribs (No flip)
350 indirect for 1hr 40 min.
Before cooking: Pull membrane , rub, mustard, rub.
Put on at 350 and leave the hell alone for about that time. This is called turbo ribs and I will never go back to 4 and 5 hour ribs.
Note: with or w/o mustard works .. I like Bad Byron's Butt Rub / I like cherry & pecan mix for wood.
If you want sauce: opened 15 min early and sauce. I like the sauce on the table.

Yup - Mickey's Turbo.

Works every time. :-D

I've tried H&F, but find I much prefer the taste when I smoke at about 225. Hang the time, go for the taste.

These were 2 hours smoke @ 325, half hour wrapped, sauced for the girls.

a34c842ee11cf065a1348995f699ea8b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I got into a situation where I needed to have a couple slabs of St. Louis done in less than two hours.

To my huge surprise, direct grilling with regular flipping turned out what I felt was a dang good rib. I still prefer the methods we're all accustomed to given the time, but I'm telling you, a well tended direct grill rib turns out nice. It was done very quickly. I don't remember exact cook time, but obviously with a direct fire it wasn't long. :)

I've found grilling or hot and fast ribs give them the consistency of what I find in spare ribs from the good local Chinese restaurants (not talking about you Panda Express). Pulls from the bone but it's not that tender smoky ribs that I am accustomed to.

Back